Peugeot 206 Any experiences/ thoughts.

I have a 2002 206 1.4HDi, yes it rattles a bit, the dash is a horrid lump of solid plastic and the gear change is like pushing a spoon through porridge. But it does 550 miles to a tank of diesel, costs £35 a year to tax and if you go to GSF or Euro Car Parts servicing is cheap too. I've had it for 3 years and done over 50K miles in it and it's been incredibly reliable and I've had nothing major go wrong (touch wood), I just change the oil every 12K miles and keep it well mantained. They were incredibly popular and the UK's best selling car (private purchases) for a number of years. I also agree with Pickle when he says it's always the bad ones you hear about and never the good ones! As with buying any second hand car, service history is key so make sure it has plenty.

I have a 2002 206 SW (the estate, if you can call it that). Bought it from new, it's still going somehow, done about 100k, and I hate it!

I have thrown everything at this car though and it is still going, however, I won't be buying another one.

I would however buy another Volvo, and another Land Rover, and another Mini, so there you go.

Generally Peugeots have strong mechanicals and light bodies. This make them good performers and economical. The interiors go a bit creaky with time. Thrashed ones are still going (because of the strong mechanicals) but are a hideous ownership experience with knackered trim, etc.

If you find a well cared-for example then they are fine. There are plenty to choose from and be selective. Avoid any without a full service history.

My sister has had two, first one was on a 'T' plate and had been written off previously (unbeknowst at the time of purchase). Second one was brand new on an '03 plate and leaked badly leaving a puddle in the footwell, also started to pull to the left not long after she got it. '03 one has still got less than 10k on it IIRC, she's not selling at the moment though.

bosses wife has one, keeps cutting out in heavy rain so often that she won't drive it when it's raining!

dealer said there was nothing wrong with it! even after it almost caused a crash!

do a search for peugeot problems on the net, there's a massive blog and website set up about it.

apparently peugeot are trying to sweep it under the carpet.

great little cars they did have a problem of the front struts dampers going weak around the 40,000 to 60,000 mark and the early ones having a loud winny first and second gear but apart front that great cars my wife had a 106 very nice little car wish me has kept it has a second car now

Back