Rossin Prestige Team build

Okay - I've found the images, but have lost the original websites and supporting text: still, might be of some use.

The pics in the album below are a mix of built bikes, framesets and old team photos. You might be able to drag the images into google to find the original websites?

http://imageshack.us/g/1/10038932/

If I were pushed, I'd say it was a late 80's team bike that found it's way into private hands. 3 possible scenarios spring to mind:

1. it was a team training bike or 'spare' that is in original simple paint and bears the scars of its successive owners.

2. It was a 'proper' liveried team bike with a specific (SB?) rider. Following its pro life, it was repaired and/ or resprayed and then had another life in which it received its dingdent. (For the record, I think that this is just wear and tear damage rather than an attempt at cold setting the rear dropout spacing. It didn't affect the ride when I had it.)

3. It was an off-the-peg, publicly-available Rossin Prestige that has been unimaginatively resprayed and well used.

The difference in bottle bosses might indicate a change of tube at some stage, but if memory serves, if you look in the bb shell you can still see the 'pegs' that were used to pin the frame together prior to brazing. As far as I know, this is usually a sign that a frame was put together properly in one pass (but I'm not a framebuilder: others will be able to confirm or disabuse this notion).

So, you could either decide on which pro team you think it was most likely to have been used by and refurb it in their livery.

or,

Stabilise the paint asis and build it up as a high quality survivor.

or,

Choose a nice scheme that you like, and go with that: replacing and repairing as you see fit.

The first choice is the most exciting, but hard to research, and there is always the nagging feeling that if you don't know for sure what the bike history is, you are 'dressing it in borrowed robes'.

The second has a nice simplicity but the paint damage now is a bit severe.

The third is perhaps the wisest: if you look at the pics in the album, there are some cracking deep hued colours with chrome that suit (and the frame isn't that light that a few bits of chrome would upset it)

It really is a fab frame that I regret letting go.

TGR":3bwmvueq said:
Nooooo it screams Dura Ace!!!! I have Shimano ears!!!!

That is very funny Shimano ears indeed.

In fact three out of four bikes i ride most often are Dura Ace equipped. As far as the color goes if the whit is original why not stick with it? Otherwise that white red fade in Doctor-bonds pics was nice

Steven

Thanks Steven,

I like the paint as it is but a little chrome would be nice too and perhaps a little colour too!!!

richard

Quick Question - how many speeds is a Campag Chotrus RS?

Thanks,

Richard

I am coming to a standstill with my investigation as information is hard to find. I have almost all the bits for a Dura Ace 7400 build - with DT levers.

If, as i guessed, i decide to do my own paint scheme, i would appreciate ideas about colour schemes. When i can work out how to do a poll, i will try it.

Also, info on the Chorus RS speeds would be handy - this might give me a guide to the OLN/OLD spacing.

Thanks all,

Richard

Here are few options - obviously i could retain my original paint and add a little chrome - this was my initial thought but the more i look - the more i am not sure about that. All opinions are appreciated.

P1000080_zpsfcc8cb22.jpg

Mark_Fulton_aero_zpsce4a40a8.jpg

IMG_5431_zps4e6bf890.jpg

1_zpsaad5690a.jpg

RossinPrestige-1024x682_zpsfe0178db.jpg

prestigeteam_zps3f621dec.jpg

The second last is a Prestige and the last pic is a restored Rossin Prestige Team bike and i expect no expense was spared.

All opinions welcome,

Richard

Richard,

I had to look up Chorus RS in one of my catalogs, turns out ii is 8 speed circa 1994 and so would be spaced at 130.

Paint schemes hmmmm.

Steven,

you sent me links before but i think i lost them in my huge inbox - apologies.

Richard

Just caught up with this TGR.

Personally I love DA groupset so commend you on that choice.

Can't wait to see it built up. Chroming wise I'd be subtle, chainstay, dropouts, headlugs. I'd be looking for teh paint to compliment the grey in the DA parts although probably wouldn't go for a solid colour, unless you had more chrome....

I'm sure it will be a beauty when it is done whatever you decide...

It might be a long shot but you could try emailing Flavio Zappi at flaviozappi.com.

According to cyclingarchives.com, Flavio was a team mate of Stefano Bizzoni in the Murella-Rossin team in 1985. Flavio now lives and works in the U.K. and runs an amateur cycling team in Oxford, hence his website.

Whether he will recall anything about the bikes he rode or his former team mates from over 25 years ago is another matter, but it might be worth a try.

Back