Square taper, grease or not!!!!

mkaavin":7i3tcais said:
gdb2b":7i3tcais said:
And there, at long last, it finally is. Life is too short. Needed back about 12 pages ago. Gentlemen, what say we retire this one?

I agree. There is no point. Deep down we all know that no grease is the answer.

Sorry greasers....you lost this one! ;-)

In your deams buddy. I havent heard anything from your camp that shows they have the slightest idea of what theyre talking about, all just 1/2 baked theories. All you lot have are some maybees and quoting thing like machine tapers that will have anybody from the engineering industry laughing their ass off at such a pointless comparison.
So far were had reports from engineers[real ones not wannabees) .BMW was mentioned as was raf [rocketys etc] and British aerospace[my dad] add to this Sheldon brown himself

Quotes of it drives it in further :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :LOL: :LOL:
Torque the crank bolt to the makers recommendation and use threadlock. :roll:

And dont forget that grease ;)

dyna-ti":3nbkxkzf said:
mkaavin":3nbkxkzf said:
gdb2b":3nbkxkzf said:
And there, at long last, it finally is. Life is too short. Needed back about 12 pages ago. Gentlemen, what say we retire this one?

I agree. There is no point. Deep down we all know that no grease is the answer.

Sorry greasers....you lost this one! ;-)

In your deams buddy. I havent heard anything from your camp that shows they have the slightest idea of what theyre talking about, all just 1/2 baked theories. All you lot have are some maybees and quoting thing like machine tapers that will have anybody from the engineering industry laughing their ass off at such a pointless comparison.
So far were had reports from engineers[real ones not wannabees) .BMW was mentioned as was raf [rocketys etc] and British aerospace[my dad] add to this Sheldon brown himself

Quotes of it drives it in further :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :LOL: :LOL:
Torque the crank bolt to the makers recommendation and use threadlock. :roll:

And dont forget that grease ;)

Agreed! And what's all that nonsense about grease allowing the tapers to be pushed on too far and distorting the crank or taper - as if a torque value will ever be specified which can distort the main components. Utter cr@p!

Excellent, 13 pages with no agreement but equally no invoking of Godwin's Law.

I guess I'll continue to do as I've always done, much the same as everyone else.

RadNomad":28ui5i5j said:
To resolve this hopeless impass, how about the moderators open a simple yes/no poll? A democratic solution seems the only way out, otherwise we'll be trapped in this perpetual void of non-consensus till the end of time..

How a referendum will help this I don't know....it is not about politics of what the cycling joe public think surely?

This is clearly a mechanical engineering matter requiring clever boffins and lots's of R&D in laboratories with people wearing white coats operating precision machinery with computers to resolve. We need all tests verified with calibrated electron microscopes by independent applied particle physics experts with at least 10 years work experience at the CERN for the love of god!

Alternatively we may be content with being in a cold shed/garage with a few beers, a few rusty rounded bolts, that big monkey wrench for special occasions, some assortment of cranks (say from a Shimano GS200 to Campagnolo Croce d'Aune to a TA Carmina), some lube (say a dollop from that tin of stuff passed down from previous generations for the Suffolk Punch lawn mower to the missus' Singer sewing machine oil) and that knackered Italian threaded LP26 BB (which you don't really know where it came from or why you are keeping it) will do tip-top fine!

:LOL:

I've resisted throwing in yet another opinion but just this thread just refuses to die so I'll throw in my thoughts.
I built and assembled thousands of bikes back in my previous career.

Here a just a couple of diverse examples:

The Pleasance family spent 5 years riding round the world, often in very adverse conditions, on two of my bespoke tandems and their cranks weren't tightened or removed once until they returned to the UK and the tandems rebuilt.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...hcAzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jTIHAAAAIBAJ&pg=5251,367734

Mandy Jones won the 1982 World Road Race Championships on a bike I built assembled and meticulously prepared.

What did they have in common? Tapers greased, bolts thread-locked and torqued correctly.

Once a greaser always a greaser. :) I really don't understand the creaky crank brigade but hey ho, each to there own opinion.

Andy

Dunno here. Might I suggest dueling pistols at twenty paces? Or perhaps we can approach this with a bit of a website programming change. We each have a profile. Its a simple change to add a required attribute that must be populated before you are allowed to access or post. The attribute would be Greaser: Y/N. The home page could be be enhanced to display the membership stats: Total members, the numbers of Yes and No, and those at null (not signed in since the update).

Call it the RetroBike Great Grease Inquisition. The site mods can sell the Names, addresses, phone numbers, and E-mail addresses of the No camp to the various firms that sell taper grease and threadlock, to psychologist/mental health service providers, to insurance companies (actuaries ought to be able to find a realtionship between not greasing and other dangerous idiations that warrant charging them more for certain services), and the Revenue Office (there has got to be a way of taxing this behavior). Wayward members would be allowed an opportunity (for a fee?) to publicly recant the error of their ways, and be reconciled with the rest of the membership in good standing.

Nirvana. Achieving enlightement (and retiring this thread). Do I hear an AMEN from the house?

:idea: :twisted:

Mandatory insertion on the BOTM to state if the tapers were greased...if so what was the viscosity, type and brand.

If not greased, then a 100 word justification. References to a Bicycle Maintenance Manual from Circa 1957 will result in immediate disqualification of BOTM entry.

Now...where did I put my pills...oh they are in the fridge.

In the year 2013
Assembled here the uninformed,
In the day when their cranks were dry...
and a 'dollop" (or was it wallop?) was applied
to the drive and non-drive side,
so in RB hell they shall not fry.

Arise ye heathen sluggards, and sing with me now.... :facepalm:

gdb2b":199a8b8x said:
The site mods can sell the Names, addresses, phone numbers, and E-mail addresses of the No camp to the various firms that sell taper grease and threadlock, to psychologist/mental health service providers, to insurance companies (actuaries ought to be able to find a realtionship between not greasing and other dangerous idiations that warrant charging them more for certain services), and the Revenue Office (there has got to be a way of taxing this behavior).

Who says we're not selling your details already? Haven't you noticed all the bike-related advertisements on your computer?
Yes, we know where you live and which computer you use ... :twisted:

:LOL:

Back