what size bearings for freewheel?

GazK

Retro Guru
I recently got a Maillard Course freewheel from another retrobiker. The freewheel itself is in good condition but there was a lot of slop of the freewheel on its body - about 2mm or so. So I've just opened it up - first time I've opened a freewheel, and shure enough, while the races are in good nick it is down by about 8 or 9 bearings in total.

My digital caliper has long since given up the ghost (cheap Aldi rubbish - don't do it kids) - so can anyone tell me if these are a standard size, and if so, what?

Just been out to measure (the first time the Aldi calliper has been used in anger) one of the many that have been rolling around my shed floor since I opened a freewheel last year, 1/8" it is. I think it's more likely to be a shimming issue though, I wouldn't have expected it to be loose with 8 or 9 balls down (assuming that's 4 or 5 per race).

I just checked mine with a steel rule... more or less 3mm, so 1/8" it is. There are 3 shims under the lockring, which moved easily so you're probably right. No harm in getting some spare bearings though.

Thanks for all the advice... I just finished rebuilding the freewheel... added new bearings and removed the thinnest shim... It's all good now, very very little slop. Don't fear the freewheel, get stuck in!

Back