Retro parts prices - Now and Then...

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Flicking through my brilliant Evans 'Bikes and bits' catalogue from 1997 (it's my bible) for period accessories to get a new build right, I was struck by the original prices of a few things and the prices they would command now. I know it's all market driven, and it's down to availability, rarity, etc, but it does make for an interesting discussion for a gloomy Sunday...

Some examples - Ringle XC bottle cage, available in five anodised colours, £12.99 originally! Another one that caught my attention was a White Industries chainset, £99, I've seen them in as new condition still go for that kind of money, so that was the two ends of the scale for me; something that was far more affordable back then that it is now, and something that has held it's value.

Sorry, I'm rambling now...BTW if anyone wants me to look anything up for them... :D

I remember buying a new white onza porc for £13. as vintage bike websites grow with ever increasing people looking for similiar items even the most mundane vintage items will soon reach record figures it seems. unfortunately the days of buying a full yo eddy or klein attitude bike for £100 are long gone :?

I recently sold a re-issue later pair of Porcs for silly money, and they were only the black ones :shock:

Over the years I was working in a bike shop I had several occasions when I could of had a decent (read now retro) bike for peanuts but didn't bother 'cos I didn't see their worth. Twice I could of had a Zaskar!! And these were real ones as it was before the value of them was such that fake ones existed.... :(

I remember buying white porcs for £13 new too (sigh!).

Prices have risen sharply for some items over the last few years, about five years ago I bought a full set of Paul Cantilevers, Paul Brake Levers, Ringle Twisters, a Ringle bottle cage and Grafton Finger Cable Hangers in 3DV for the grand sum of £60, try doing that now.....my biggest regret is that the chap also had a full set of Ringle Twisters and a Moby in green too that I didn't get....

Cheers
Stu

:shock:

I suppose if we all knew then what we know now, there wouldn't be a lot of point carrying on :LOL:

I've just very happily bought a used set of Odyssey Shark Bites for £13 posted, I've been looking for ages. Price new in '98? £15!!

I guess it helps that my bikes were rocking the 3DV trinkets even when it was terribly uncool to do so ;)

Cheers
Stu

On the flipside, I remember paying around 350ukp or something daft like that for a Bontrager Competition fork circa 1990! Plenty of stuff back then was stupid money in terms of any performance upgrade that one got out of it. I've not looked but I'd be very surprised if that fork fetches that sort of money now!

From memory I paid £200 back in 1993 for one of the first Rock shox Quadra forks for my alpinestars cro mega dx, it appears you almost can't give them away now!!!!

I paid £625 for a DX Orange Clockwork in 1990, I also paid £1425 for a Pace RC200 F1 with XC Pro group set, Magura's, RC 35's, sub 130's, Salsa stem, Richey post with Flite saddle.

Seems to me that there are a few things that were seen as cool BITD and have retained that 'status'. Personally there's no way in hell I'd pay big money for a bone shaker of a Klein. Another example are XT thumbies, although these at least work really well, albeit don't have good ergonomics. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter as most of it won't worth anything in another 10 years!

Back