Re: My Ranjeet Grewel inspired Yeti ARC

Thats looking great Nick. Look forward to seeing progress.

mr_ship":113go9jz said:
Looks nice. I'd go with option 2 I think :cool:
You’re right …I need to stay focused and stick with my original train of thought, otherwise I’ll end up with a mis-match
pile of pooh :facepalm:

racer x":113go9jz said:
o my done it again... awesome look forward to seeing this build :D :cool:
Thanks Buddy, few bits of kit from your "for Sale thread" lined up for this build... good old Vernonsbikes :LOL:

JustKev":113go9jz said:
That’s looking great Nick. Look forward to seeing progress.
Just hope I get it right and do the old girl justice, which is one of the reasons why I haven’t just chucked my parts bit at it and finished by now.
B.T.W I’ve seen your post for a Gold M217. I’m sure I’ve got 3 gold M217’s so can spare one, just need to look it out.

Just purchased two additional 1.125 Crown rings for the forks just encase I ever want to chop and change forks,
but for now I’m sticking with the Manitou’s just need to find someone who can tap a bit more thread on a 1¼ steerer before I chop it down a bit
I’ve found a thread tapper on line at http://www.framebuilding.com/best%20quality.htm but £81.65 for a single use to tap about 10mm more thread seems a bit of a luxury.
Does anyone know a reliable LBS that that I could send my steerer to who has the tooling to Tap 1¼ thread, I’ve already tried Argos Cycles in Bristol but drew a blank

Not sure on Rims at present I’ve a mini NOS collection… would love to use Mavic 231 CD’s but Araya RM14’s are more in keeping for the build
and they have a subtle accent of purple on the label which will tie in nicely with build.
The other option would be the XTR blue Mavic 220’s but whilst waiting for the frame to come back from Paint the devil made work for my idle hands
.......and I taught myself how to build a snow flake pattern.

Attachments

• Snow Flaked XTR Blue MA220 on Ringle.jpg
    Snow Flaked XTR Blue MA220 on Ringle.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,146
  • 1990 Araya Rim Catalogue.jpg
    1990 Araya Rim Catalogue.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,146
  • Rim Choice.jpg
    Rim Choice.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,146

Looking good! Those wheels will look ok for now, but don't compromise the build! Find the rims you want and do it right. I think the M231s would fit just fine.

mkozaczek":1vy7ly47 said:
Any updates??

Its Progressing steadily,

As you’ll see in the pictures below I’ve left it sitting on the Blue wheels for the time being as I’m awaiting the arrival
of the spokes for the permanent set, and the Manitou II still need chopping down and more thread tapping on the
steerer before I can fit them properly, need to find a LBS who still has an Inch ¼ thread tapper which is proving
harder than first imagined :(

Although I’m looking to build a bike closely resembling Ranjeets it will always be slightly different, either by design
or compromise, As I want this to be “a rider” not a garage queen… in my book Yeti’s are akin to Thoroughbred race
horses …built only to be raced, rather than an elaborately turned out dressage Horse (Queue Klein’s)
Anyway if this bad boy is going to hit the woods any time soon then the seat post has to be one such compromise
that I’m prepared to concede, For the life of me I cannot find a silver 28.6 Moby in tidy condition so have settled
(at least for the time being) on a very shinny NOS Shimano offering

Having previously ridden with narrow “USE” bars, and for the past 10yrs Renthal Sub 130’s the Answer Bars I’ve
just fitted seem wider than anything known to mankind…. and with even the smallest of barends attached its made the
the bike look like a Moose ! …..I just can’t bring myself to chop em down but somethings going to have to give !
I’m hoping that once the steerer is tapped and cut down the frontend may look a lot neater,
and then it do I stay with 3dv barends or opt for the silver :facepalm:

Rubber wise I’ve shod it with a pair of supple NOS Tioga Farmer John Cousins as they were as close a match to period
tyres that I could find that weren’t all dried up and cracked, and after months of staring at a box of 3DV anno I just
had to exercise some of the voices in my head that kept urging me to dig em out and start fitting em…….
So I now have brakes, bottle cages and Anti chain suck plate.

Must give a big shout to Elite504 for coming to my rescue and fabricating the Pulley wheel for the front mech and also
the "L-Shapes" that were missing from the Bottle cages, Top draw craftmanship :D

I fully intended to keep the Anno under control as per the Original factory picture, but silverfish’s build has caused me to
Wavier a little and the 3DV Graftons cranks might see the light of day in favour of the Silver just as soon as I’ve sourced
the 122mm Bottom Bracket needed. Never thought I'd junk the M900 shifters in favour of Gripshift but I've only recently
found out that Yeti were still using Campy Bullet Shifters during this period and they're as close as I can get (for the moment)

Still have a long way to go, but it's finally starting to take shape :D

Attachments

• m900 Shifters.jpg
    m900 Shifters.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,081
  • Farmer John's Cousin.jpg
    Farmer John's Cousin.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,081
  • Grafton cranks.jpg
    Grafton cranks.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,079
  • Elite 504 handy work.jpg
    Elite 504 handy work.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,079
  • XTR post and Avocet.jpg
    XTR post and Avocet.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,080
  • Silver Hyperends.jpg
    Silver Hyperends.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 1,080
  • Ranjeet Grewel mock up.jpg
    Ranjeet Grewel mock up.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,081
  • Ranjeet Grewal 1.jpg
    Ranjeet Grewal 1.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,081

Nice progress, matching post and stem is always a good rule to follow. Nice combo there.

Personally I'd go radial or 2x on front wheel - snowflake just never appealed to me.

And silver cranks. I have a home for the purple ones ;)

Retro Spud":1xs21s4q said:
Still have a long way to go, but it's finally starting to take shape :D
fantastic so far ...you're getting close! ;)

Look forward to seeing more :D

Nader":21d0jpq5 said:

You'll see more soon ....Just wish I could take snaps of my project half a good as yours
although perhaps a little less "arty" ;)

ez054098":21d0jpq5 said:
Very nice
Cheers buddy means a lot coming from someone who knows his onions !

JustKev":21d0jpq5 said:
Nice progress, matching post and stem is always a good rule to follow. Nice combo there.

Personally I'd go radial or 2x on front wheel - snowflake just never appealed to me.

Thanks Kev, the snowflake was just me messing with bending spokes on a spair set of hubs/rims that I had
I must confess the only two spoke patterns I've never built are radial and crowsfoot, so might give Radial
a go next.

The standin seatpost was a lucky find.. however I'd part it out in aflash for a tidy Moby
as for the cranks they're keepers buddy

Attachments

• YETI sized XTR M910 Post.jpg
    YETI sized XTR M910 Post.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 998
  • BNIB XTR M910 Post.jpg
    BNIB XTR M910 Post.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 998

Retro Spud":3rpnsenm said:
Nader":3rpnsenm said:

You'll see more soon ....Just wish I could take snaps of my project half a good as yours
although perhaps a little less "arty" ;)

ez054098":3rpnsenm said:
Very nice
Cheers buddy means a lot coming from someone who knows his onions !

JustKev":3rpnsenm said:

Thanks Kev, the snowflake was just me messing with bending spokes on a spair set of hubs/rims that I had
I must confess the only two spoke patterns I've never built are radial and crowsfoot, so might give Radial
a go next.

The standin seatpost was a lucky find.. however I'd part it out in aflash for a tidy Moby
as for the cranks they're keepers buddy
What color and size Moby are you looking for?

Back