Removing a stuck quil stem

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
We've had plenty of threads on removing stuck posts but I don't remember one on freeing up a stuck quill stem.

Any non destructive successes to report?

leave upside down and drizzled in oil.

For those who can play the waiting game try 3in1 for a day or so.

For those who are impatient, use penetrating sprays and such like.

A bit of heat can help. Leave the bars in. If its a front loading stem, use good quality bolts to secure the bars.

Be aware that you can bend the forks if using too much force so dont use too big a bar length over standard handlebars.

Turn the bike up-side down squirt some Loose-All/Penetrating Oil down the steerer tube and leave it for a few hours (longer the better) maybe even some from the top as well. Trap the forks between your knees/feet then lightly tap the side of the stem (soft mallet not a hammer).

Stick the forks on a sturdy fence
Big bit of inch diameter bar thru the stem and gently hoy away

The stem in my fisher was well seized.
A good dousing with plusgas for starters. Forks held high up at crown level in a soft jawed vice and bars removed; replaced with a metre or so of steel tubing.
Took 3 or 4 good 'yoinks' backwards and forwards until it clicked, then it just needed a good rotational pull upwards.
Probably only took 5 or 10 minutes all told.

Thanks chaps - I take it that it went without saying that have already tried the "loosen off the quill bolt completely and give it a firm 'tap'" approach.

Upside down and PlusGas it is.

Except what do I find when I attempt this? The previous owner not only managed to get the stem stuck fast but has fitted a hard wooden plug in the bottom of the steerer although fair play to him, it is a very neat fit.

With no drill to hand I'm going in from the top.....

Back