fignon's handlebars

It's only from looking at pictures but I think he used Cinelli 66 on the blue Gitane when he was in the Renault team. In 1989 he used ITM stems, as mentioned in a Cycling Weekly article, so he probably used the ITM version of the 66, ie a deep drop bars.

bigfatron":arsozn1h said:
are you riding the full 100 miles?
i'm wondering if i can persuade my wife that i should ride it?
on ridiculously low gears and virtually no training!

as with all sportives you will be one of the very few, if not the only one, on a steel bike.
the upside of this is that if the photographers are riders themselves they are likely to take many, many pictures of you - i've regularly been told i'm on the best bike they've seen all day!
richie

As it's my first sportive since rediscovering bike riding after a 22 year rest I am only doing the 66 mile course...pah, only 66 miles? :facepalm:

I am riding it with a mate who has a Scott CR1 Comp Triple...but he is 16.5 stone (5stone more than me) so will need those 30 gears! I am hoping that 39T on the front and 28T on the rear will be sufficiently low given the terrain and my level of fitness.

You should definitely suggest to your wife that in fact you are riding it so there, that's an end to it and it's not up for discussion...as long as it's OK with her!

Martin

bigfatron":1cn34zaw said:
ha, replying to my own post.....
i didn't mention a couple of things and just thought i'd add an update.
my handlebars look at a wrong angle, but that's just the angle i've taken the picture from. i was concerned that i'd set up all wrong, but can assure you that, in accordance with the rules, i have checked the parallel to the ground state of the drops with a spirit level.

richie

The bars do look like they're pointing down, therefore "wrong". I find it that if you set the drops parallel to the ground then the ends of the drops look pointing up。 This is why the usual recommendation is to set the bar ends pointing down very slightly.

I have a frame number - 5498 - doesn't seem like anything Raleigh would have used, and there is nothing else stamped into the BB shell.
The cable routing is via brazed on tubes under the BB shell, between them is a round hole. not a screw hole for a cable guide, a hole of 8-10mm in diameter.
it rained all day in Staines (where I work), so no riding for me. Those of you who use Velominati will be telling me that I should be applying rule 5 and rule 9. And I can't disagree, I just didn't fancy it!
I've dropped a line to Cyfac and given them the frame number, asking if they can confirm it is one of theirs. They have confirmed that another frame I had was not one they made, so they don't just ignore you.
Once the rains stop I'll take some pictures of the details of the bike and add to my gallery. I'll post something to let the interested parties know.
richie

bigfatron":cwe4s11f said:
I have a frame number - 5498 - doesn't seem like anything Raleigh would have used, and there is nothing else stamped into the BB shell.
The cable routing is via brazed on tubes under the BB shell, between them is a round hole. not a screw hole for a cable guide, a hole of 8-10mm in diameter.
it rained all day in Staines (where I work), so no riding for me. Those of you who use Velominati will be telling me that I should be applying rule 5 and rule 9. And I can't disagree, I just didn't fancy it!
I've dropped a line to Cyfac and given them the frame number, asking if they can confirm it is one of theirs. They have confirmed that another frame I had was not one they made, so they don't just ignore you.
Once the rains stop I'll take some pictures of the details of the bike and add to my gallery. I'll post something to let the interested parties know.
richie

Richie

Sounds like mine, and I have never seen a Cinelli BB like that before. Where abouts on the shell is the number stamped, towards the front or rear of the bike? By change I logged on to a forum last night where Eric from Cyfac is a member. I posted a bit about my frame and he got back straight away. SOunds like a good bloke. If yours is Cyfac then maybe I have got lucky too!! Doubt it though, I don't have that kind of luck.

Attachments

• BBkt.JPG
    BBkt.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 456
I remember looking at the bikes whilst at the 89 TDF, and the bikes had ITM Citta di Bassano bars (black), on early bikes it looks as if they used ITM SUPER RACING (silver)

i love to see things like this - someone dedicated to reproduce a favourite retrobike from the golden era
of cycling - well done you!!

:cool:

thank you bodie - i only have old rides, the 653 is my most recent bicycle.
at the base of my post is the list of my super u/castorama frames, including the dead - i also have a vitus from 1984 (partington cycles) and a systeme u colours gitane from 1987.
so all my rides are on downtube shifters - i've never ridden with bar controls!

colnagoc59 - i have made a note, citta di bassano i have heard of but never seen one for sale, so i will search!

Matt - both you and i are unlucky people then (you should play golf with me) but we both have great frames - my frame number is by the downtube, as is yours as the bb shell is exactly as your picture. unlucky or what?!

my choice to ride on tubs and not clinchers.....in the 1980s, when i were a lad, i dreamt of riding on tubs. now that i can afford to choose the rims and rubber i ride on, it's tubs only. i have to say, they don't feel like hard work, as per the research into rolling resistance, and it seems like you just kiss the tarmac as it slides beneath you. beautiful, even if they are only vittoria rally, and a long time in coming!

richie

bigfatron":2jb8mkm9 said:
thank you bodie - i only have old rides, the 653 is my most recent bicycle.
at the base of my post is the list of my super u/castorama frames, including the dead - i also have a vitus from 1984 (partington cycles) and a systeme u colours gitane from 1987.

colnagoc59 - i have made a note, citta di bassano i have heard of but never seen one for sale, so i will search!

Matt - both you and i are unlucky people then (you should play golf with me) but we both have great frames - my frame number is by the downtube, as is yours as the bb shell is exactly as your picture. unlucky or what?!

my choice to ride on tubs and not clinchers.....in the 1980s, when i were a lad, i dreamt of riding on tubs. now that i can afford to choose the rims and rubber i ride on, it's tubs only. i have to say, they don't feel like hard work, as per the research into rolling resistance, and it seems like you just kiss the tarmac as it slides beneath you. beautiful, even if they are only vittoria rally, and a long time in coming!

richie
Could it be good luck though!! Have Cyfac confirmed that's it's not one of theirs? It will certainly be strange if it's not - seemingly not Raleigh, not Cyfac, but two frames in Castorama livery with a very unusual bottom bracket! Maybe we are due some luck (I am the same as you in golf terms as well!!)

Cheers
Matt

bigfatron":2gg703zl said:
richie

i salute you, sir!!! i was riding up a local climb on my corsa record 753 and these two
racing snakes powered past me - one did a "double take" at my bike and burst out
laughing at my downtube shifters!! :evil: i was so incensed that he was slagging
off my pride and joy (especially when he was riding a plastic blob and no doubt
cost three times what mine did) that i got the rage, threw it into the big ring and
blasted past them over the top and lost them on the descent!! :twisted:

idiots.

:roll:

Back