Old Hoods - where are they? And not the Sopranos!!!

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Morning all,

Has anyone any advice about where brake hoods are available? I had a look at the Wanted Section and this seems a common problem.

I have been looking for 600ax hoods for a long time and i know that they are hard to find. My next hood search is for Weinmann non-aero ones.

Any pointers about copy hoods etc is appreciated - and i imagine not only by me.

Thanks all,

Richard

Hi Richard,

I was able to get some NOS brown hoods for my Universal levers (non Aero) from a person in Italy via eBay so if you haven't tried there it might be worth a go

he's called a2alfa and gave really good service

I got them to replace the white Weinmann ones I had on the bike since 1992 (still got those but they are cracked and perished so probably not what you want)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for that info.

Anyone else has a hood source? It seems odd that these are not more widely available as they are a perishable item. I am talking generally and not specifically in relation to my needs.

Richard

Weinmann and dia-compe hoods will fit also. See:
$(KGrHqRHJEUFEj,Be67CBRM4SlCt6!~~60_85.JPG

Richard you could try this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-Rare- ... 43b6d6188d

That a big joke, Sorry

But on the serious side the AX group was not made for very long and this is why the hoods are so hard to find. The set on my 3Rensho has some ill fitting hoods for this very reason. I actually could have bought a pair a few years back for about $60 usd but passed because it was just too much. Now I would gladly pay the $60 but no luck because the seller is out. its just like the story I told you about the Cinelli frame buttons where I refused to pay $40 for the darn things until they were gone and then I regretted not buying. A few month later they were available again but the price was up to $60 so I have learned my lesson.

This seller has a few hoods he sells but sadly no Shimano

http://bicycleclassics.com

Also this site has a ton of old stuff and reproductions too just a little hard to navigate

http://www.yellowjersey.org/index.html

Steven

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
!

Blimey that yellowjersey site is a bit of a nightmare..........so is the 100 dollar price for an arc-en-ciel rim

!

Blimey that yellowjersey site is a bit of a nightmare..........so is the 100 dollar price for an arc-en-ciel rim !

Shaun

Thanks Steven,

I love the first link - proves my point quite well, i wonder if the seller would consider splitting? LOLOOOo++LOLL
There is obviously a market for old hoods, but why is no one making them?

The second US site - my head hurts!!!!!

If you want Arc-en-ciel rims - Will911 has some - FYI!!

I may never give up on my quest for the 600ax hoods but i stil find it odd that other 'normal' hoods are not available somewhere - in a reproduction mode.

Richard

Back