2000 AS NEW Schwinn 4 Banger

northerncromb

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, just thought id put a few pics up of my latest bike...
Its a 2000 Schwinn 4 Banger.
Used to be owned by a guy who used to work for Schwinn/GT in Germany so i was told!
He bought it new with his staff discount in 2000 and it has sat in his garage virtually unused since.
When i got a good look at it the chain/cassette even still had that tacky stuff on it, the rear shock even still has the "tango Tuned" tag on it too
I have taken the Hayes brakes off (front one seized up) rear brake is in the For Sale section, and i have a very good condition set of Hope C2's to go on soon!
If anybody has a link to any info at all about this bike i would appreciate it as i cant find anything out about them!

Hope you all like it.....

Cheers,
Dave.

Attachments

• 100_0696.JPG
    100_0696.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,945
  • 100_0693.JPG
    100_0693.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,944
  • 100_0692.JPG
    100_0692.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,945
  • 100_0695.JPG
    100_0695.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,946
  • 100_0694.JPG
    100_0694.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 1,946
Thanks!
Forks are Rockshox Judy 100 Hydracoil (im having a guess the 100 is meaning 100mm travel?? )
Still waiting for the Hope brakes to arrive, they were an ebay purchase and i should have em early next week.... THEN i can ride it at last :)

hope u got the right caliper half and mount for the rear of this

or do u already have an 22mm to is mount ?>

Any chance you can measure the Axle to crown on those forks?

I've a set of Marzocchi Bomber (Z1 bams) on my 4 banger, but they're 120mm travel, and feel a bit 'floppy'; I can't figure out if they're way too long, or if I've just never ridden forks over 80mm travel, and this is normal...

:oops: :oops:

That is a 1999 Schwinn. Keep an eye on the upper pivot area for cracks, and be gentle on the chainstay pinch bolts.

My_Teenage_Self":1164za8d said:
Any chance you can measure the Axle to crown on those forks?

I've a set of Marzocchi Bomber (Z1 bams) on my 4 banger, but they're 120mm travel, and feel a bit 'floppy'; I can't figure out if they're way too long, or if I've just never ridden forks over 80mm travel, and this is normal...

:oops: :oops:

Axle to crown is approx 460mm mate ;-)

Welcome to the Lawwill club! That looks like a very well looked after example, well done!

They are classic bikes and ride brilliantly, I've got a small cluster of them and spares now and love them to bits, there's a fairly active Lawwill owners scene in the US on the MTBR forums but there are a few of us here in the UK too.

Depending which version of the dropouts you have (IS or Hayes 22mm) you may have trouble getting some brakes to fit. If you have the 22mm hayes mount which it looks like you might do because your dropouts are silver not black (not 100% but normally a give-away) then you will need an adaptor, if you have the IS ones then should bolt straight on but you might need to file a bit as some calipers can foul at the top of the dropout.

EDIT - seen you note about already having found the A2Z adaptor.

BTW - those Hayes brakes are totally rebuildable and a seal kit is ~£4 and same again fore replacement pistons if there is any damage so should be repairable.

Shock wise you are pretty much limited to older RS models using the RS trunnion you have, or try to find a Fox trunnion and allow you to use Fox coil shocks. You can use 1.5 stroke shocks like you have fitted for 4in of travel, or plug a 2in stroke shock in for just shy of 6.

As already mentioned keep an eye on the pivots, both top and bottom, for cracks, they can be prone to it with hard use and you need to be doubly careful since you have the pinch bolt pivot version.

Give me a shout if there is anything you want to know/get stuck with anythign as I could talk about these bikes for weeks!

Matt

my_teenage_self - 4 bangers work fine with 120mm forks (are you sure yours are 120mm? unless you've done some spacer trickery Z1s are normally 100, 110 or 130mm), mine ran beautifully with 130 Z1s on it, but if you're feeling the front end is too slack then you can wind the trunnion up a bit which will steepen the head angle and liven it up a bit, it will raise the BB a little as well but only about ~5-8mm or so for each degree change on the head angle

amedias":2zr8vveg said:
Welcome to the Lawwill club! That looks like a very well looked after example, well done!

They are classic bikes and ride brilliantly, I've got a small cluster of them and spares now and love them to bits, there's a fairly active Lawwill owners scene in the US on the MTBR forums but there are a few of us here in the UK too.

Depending which version of the dropouts you have (IS or Hayes 22mm) you may have trouble getting some brakes to fit. If you have the 22mm hayes mount which it looks like you might do because your dropouts are silver not black (not 100% but normally a give-away) then you will need an adaptor, if you have the IS ones then should bolt straight on but you might need to file a bit as some calipers can foul at the top of the dropout.

EDIT - seen you note about already having found the A2Z adaptor.

BTW - those Hayes brakes are totally rebuildable and a seal kit is ~£4 and same again fore replacement pistons if there is any damage so should be repairable.

Shock wise you are pretty much limited to older RS models using the RS trunnion you have, or try to find a Fox trunnion and allow you to use Fox coil shocks. You can use 1.5 stroke shocks like you have fitted for 4in of travel, or plug a 2in stroke shock in for just shy of 6.

As already mentioned keep an eye on the pivots, both top and bottom, for cracks, they can be prone to it with hard use and you need to be doubly careful since you have the pinch bolt pivot version.

Give me a shout if there is anything you want to know/get stuck with anythign as I could talk about these bikes for weeks!

Matt

my_teenage_self - 4 bangers work fine with 120mm forks (are you sure yours are 120mm? unless you've done some spacer trickery Z1s are normally 100, 110 or 130mm), mine ran beautifully with 130 Z1s on it, but if you're feeling the front end is too slack then you can wind the trunnion up a bit which will steepen the head angle and liven it up a bit, it will raise the BB a little as well but only about ~5-8mm or so for each degree change on the head angle

Awesome, thanks for the info :D
Do you have a link to the hayes seal kit please mate? and im sure ill be in touch with some questions to you at some point ;)

I got my Hope C2's eventually, just spent a while getting them fitted... The rear went on a treat with the A2Z adaptor but the front caliper is too wide and hits the spokes :roll: sssoooo i temporarily bodged it just so i could get out on it for a quick ride :oops: :oops: :twisted:

So what made you such a fan of these bikes?
Cheers,
Dave.

Back