Orange F7 fork length?

Aluminium Ohhh

Retro Guru
I have been looking for a while now for some Orange P7 F7 nickel forks for a 21" frame (headset tube length around 145mm)
Any tips on where to look for these forks would be appreciated other than here and ebay

Question is for the 21" frame what length is the F7 fork and can you advise exacltly where you measure from & to
I have heard crown to axle but where exactly?

Another thing bugging me is on the F7 forks along with many other forks the axles are set in front of the steerer tube
i.e. if you draw a line parallel with the steerer tube the axle will be set 20-40mm in front but when you look at aftermarket forks like say the Pace RC30 or RC35 etc the axle is in line with the steerer tube, does this make for quicker steering?
Can someone elaborate how significant or not this is?

As I may end up with non Orange forks but want to not affect the original designed handling of the P7 which was pretty relaxed

Why dont you just get a painted set and get them stripped and nickel coated?

Tbh the position of the dropouts wont make a huge difference (for forks of the same equivalent length). Much of the difference will be canceled out by different crown angles and leg lengths.

Thanks for the advice re the offset

Painted F7's would also be fine, in my wanted thread I said nickel preferred, I will make sure this is clear

The axles are always set on front of the steerer tube.
Doesn't matter what fork it is, pace taste just the same.

Search on fork rake.

the correct fork length for your frame is 390mm axle to crown, it is measured from the centre of where the axle would be to where the crown race (from the headset) would sit on the lowest point of the steerer tube.

being honest i think you'll really struggle finding an f7 fork to fit your 21", i've been looking for a set for 19" frame for a while, i found a set for a 17" but i think i may resort to a pace fork instead.

JB thank you for your clarification

If I come across anything suitable but too short for me I will let you know
I have some details on F9's due soon

Also forgot to say I have asked Pace if they would be prepared to do some RC31s with 1" steerer
I won't hold my breath
No response yet

Pace have responded saying that they do not have the 1" crown material
Must admit I'm not sure what this is saying as Pace manufacture reducers from 1"1/8 to 1" so why can't they replace the 1" 1/8 tube with a shimmed or turned tube, maybe I'm missing something
I have not responded to Pace as yet

Wonder how much interest there would be in 1" rigids

My F7's are the model with rear facing brake bosses(and in a lovely yellowy orange 1 1/8" 203mm) The crown to axle length is about 393[or 5]mm
Thats from the point where the crown race sits not underneath the crown, to the center of the dropout.

The frame size doesnt make any difference other than the headtube is likely to be longer therefore requiring more length on the steerer.
I had a 99 clockwork in 21" (also being a giant) i ran my fork with a steerer @ about 220mm. I like an inch or so under the stem and usually also go for 15 degrees+ rise.Along with risers of about 30mm its ok for me. Problem being tall isnt the frame height its so much more to do with our extraordinarily long arms ;)

Latest posts

Back