Schmolke Scandium FS

Raging_Bulls

Sbike Fan
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I had put this frame up for sale a few days ago, but after a lot of contemplation I decided to build it after all.

As much as I enjoyed my Bulls (topic here), it was too harsh to ride considering my medical problems.
It's also a gorgeous piece of art, this frame. After putting it up for sale, I just couldn't stop staring at the pics. I knew I'd never stumble across anything like it again, especially at that price. So in the end I couldn't sell it anymore.

Due to a different seat tube diameter, I had to buy a seat post, seat clamp and a shim for the front mech. The rest was all a straight port from the Bulls. The progress so far :

Speclist is of course mostly the same as my Bulls was. As for the weight, in it's current configuration it's 12.2kg (slightly less than 27lbs, including the empty bottle). That's good enough for me.

My only real worry involves the headset. It took a normal amount of effort (8 taps with a small hammer) to get it each end out of the Bulls' frame, but I was able to push both ends into the Schmolke without using tools.
It didn't just drop in by itself, but I didn't need to apply any serious pressure either. It takes twice as much force to crush one of those empty plastic water bottles. There doesn't seem to be any noticeable play, but I somehow feel uneasy about how easily it went in.

To do still :

1 ) The seat post is a cheap generic 27.2 one, probably Cro-Moly or even Hi-Ten. I'll upgrade it at some point in the near future.
2 ) perhaps I'll change the red ano on the handlebar area to gold ano. The frame is all ano itself, and IMO the red is just a tad too much on this one. Gold would blend in better. Of course the rebound adjusters and brake calipers can stay red.

One thing though : Seeing as I don't have a Bulls anymore, should I change my name to Raging_Schmolke? :LOL:

Re: Schmolke ... Yes, I built it after all.

i like the blue colour
1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg

First outing today.

I swapped the skinwalls for my Scott's slicks, which sorted out the aesthetics on both bikes. The Scott looks properly retro now and the Schmolke looks like it's about to give a whole new meaning to the term "Urban Assault".

schmFS_2013-03-18_02.jpg

Unfortunately there still are 2 things to address.

The combination of 2.2" balloon-style slicks and full suspension means I almost need a ladder to get on and off. I'm not kidding, this thing is huge. I'm guessing that the BB is around 2" higher than that of my Sbike.
I think I'll get a set of Schwalbe City Jet 1.95" blackwalls for it. That'll lower the entire bike by more than 1/2" and decrease the rolling resistance by a fair amount too. Maybe I'll put the fork at 80mm again and get a different linkage to drop the rear a bit too. That should sort it out.

There's also a leaking rear shock. Perhaps I'll fix it, or I could get one with remote poplock so I can convert the bike from full suspension to rigid at the flick of 2 switches. It would make the handlebar quite busy though, with 2 poplock levers. I feel that there's already to many toys on there.

The next pictures will be when the bike is finished, and with a proper camera rather than a cellphone.

The bike still isn't finished, but there is some serious progress.
City Jets, new crankset (finally ditched that basic Deore), new rear shock ... yup, we're getting there.

First proper run today, and only some minor teething problems.

schmol_tst_run.jpg

Just a few more minor details to sort out. The XT QR skewers can't handle the braking power. they slip, causing the wheel to move on the left side and hence making the disc rub against the outer brake pad.
I reckon a set of TranzX security skewers will sort that out. They can handle a lot more clamping force than the XT ones and won't slip. I have a spare set in chrome, but I'm pretty sure the Schmolke prefers black.

Once that's done, I need to shorten the brake lines and figure out what I'll do in terms of front lighting and computer.
I'll also have to look into getting a new cassette. currently there's a 45T difference between small-small and big-big, while the rear mech only has a 43T capacity.

Speclist :

Frame : Schmolke Scandium FS, limited edition, dark blue ano
Fork : RS Reba RL, 100mm with poplock
Shock : Fox Float CTD Evoltion with TFtuned heavy-duty bushings

Headset : No idea
Stem : KCNC Team Issue, 110mm, 6° rise
Top cap : KCNC Lite
spacer : KCNC hollow spacer 5mm
Handlabar : KCNC SC Bone, 31.8 x 660mm
Grips : Aerozine XG1.0 lock-on grips
Bar Ends : KCNC BE1

Saddle : Selle Italia Q-bik
Seat Post : KCNC Ti-Pro Lite 27.2 x 350
Seat Clamp : KCNC SC11

Brakes : Formula RX20 with FCM and lever reach adjust
Rotors : Hope Saw 180mm front and rear
Formula Center lock to 6-bolt adapter

Shifters : Shimano Deore XT M770 3x10
Front mech : Shimano Deore XT M770
Rear mech : Shimano Deore XT M780 SGS Shadow
Crankset : KCNC K-type XC2 Triple, 172.5mm, 44-32-22
Chain : Shimano HG90
Cassette : Shimano Deore XT 11-34
BB : KCNC

Hubs : Shimano Deore XT
Skewers : Shimano Deore XT, soon to be replaced with TranzX security skewers.
Spokes : DT Swiss, stainless
Rims : Alex DP-17 disc
Tyres : Schwalbe City Jet 26x1.95" blackwall
Valve covers : KCNC

Bottle holder : Lezyne
Bottle holder screws : KCNC
Pedals : NC-17 S-pro Trekking

Wheelbase : 107 cm (42 1/8")
Travel : 100 / 140 mm (4" / 5.5")
Weight : 11.3kg (24.9lbs).

oo, right, I forgot about that PM. My bad

That's currently being looked at. I now know that the valve is leaking, which should be an easy fix because it has the same components as a Schrader valve on an inner tube.
I'll probably fix it and build something Sbike-like around it.

Raging_Bulls":3ixdxrao said:
That's currently being looked at.
I now know that the valve is leaking, which should be an easy fix because it has the same components as a Schrader valve on an inner tube.

I'll probably fix it and build something Sbike-like around it.
Should be easy to fix I think?

Back