Iron Horse Sunday 2005 - semi retro!

sam264

Retro Guru
So I have a 2005 Iron Horse Sunday that I acquired at the end of last summer, as I had cracked my Orange 223. I know it's not exactly retro, but in terms of downhill bikes, it's fairly old. It also has the racing prestige of several years on the downhill WC circuit underneath mr Sam Hill, so I thought it might interest some of you guys that follow the downhill world cup.

Here's how I built it up at first, some tired old components and paint job, and the back end was super loose, not great.

p4pb8693495.jpg

I started stripping it over christmas, got the paint off, sent it off to Pearce Cycles (very helpful) who sorted the linkage for me, I also got a load of new components etc and stuck a -1.5 deg angleset on there. Now it rides amazingly and looks a whole load better. Only things I want to change now are the forks, shock and wheels, but they'll do for now.

p4pb9131960.jpg

p4pb9131966.jpg

p4pb9131963.jpg

p4pb9131969.jpg

Re: Iron Horse Sunday - semi retro!

I like that. I remember these being one of the first lightish DH bikes at the time and were literally everywhere...everyone had one. I do wonder where they have all gone sometimes.

I really like them and yours looks lovely polished. What forks will you put on it?

Re: Iron Horse Sunday - semi retro!

I still know a fair few people that have them, they're a pretty common sight on the trails these days! Or at least compared to other bikes from the same time. These things just don't seem to break!

Cheers :) I'd like to get some of the newer 35mm Boxxers for it. Probably won't happen for a while yet though. Would quite like to swap out the original 5th elephant shock for a vivid at some point as well, but that means either butchering or replacing the lower link and hardware.

Most of my mates who had them have moved on to other things probably why I haven't seen one for a while. I had a Demo which was ace but a bit heavier.

I think Boxxers are the only option for these...to be honest I don't think I've ever seen one with anything else.

Cheers guys :) The finish requires quite a bit of work to keep looking nice though. Might get it powder coated or anodised when I have the money.

sam264":cg3rl4rd said:
Cheers guys :) The finish requires quite a bit of work to keep looking nice though. Might get it powder coated or anodised when I have the money.

I've found that with the Chameleon that I polished up. I think certain types of ali dull very quickly.

Yeah, doesn't help that every time I've used it, it's either been battered about in uplifts or it's just been very muddy.

What did you use to polish your chameleon by the way? It looks ace. You should upload some more recent photos of that thing :)

Back