Hope Suspension hub question

secret_squirrel

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I was wondering if its possible to detach the flanges on a hope hub from the titanium Center shell without wrecking the hub. Read somewhere that I can't find now that's how the red silver and blue sets were created.

I guess it comes down to if they are bonded or press fitted?

It may not help, but I know someone successfully repaired a nuke proof carbon hub and these were press ti if memory of the thread serves. Doesn't mean the hope ones are of course.

If you think on how a wheel is constructed we can see that everything is pulling the hub flanges together :? If its bonded then i can see it would be reasonable to assume[careful now] that you can take them apart and reassemble them without issue
That said, i think it above only can apply to non disc hubs given the braking force is in the centre for disc and as its effectively a bodge then thats the last place you want it :?

Yikes - good point these are disc hubs. I don't imagine the spokes would take too kindly to any extra rotational force as part of a rebuilt flange/center combo.

I assume all the Ti centred hubs where bonded to the flanges, not something I would expect not to be given how thin they are.
I would guess either heat or a solvent to remove them and then bond them back on. Hope used to repair them, try given then a call/mail to see how it was done. Might be easier than trial and error.

My rear hub popped apart when I was trying to change a bearing, I wouldn't recommend trying it esp with a disk hub

You thought about stripping one flange then having it anodised the alternate colour whilst it's still attached??

Bad news on disc hubs because the tighter (i.e. rear on the drive side of a rear hub) spokes do most of the torque transmission work, hence the torque is applied across the hub body.

On front disc hubs it's not suh an issue because the disc side spokes are the tighter of each side.

boxxer":nkeglqcu said:
My rear hub popped apart when I was trying to change a bearing, I wouldn't recommend trying it esp with a disk hub

You thought about stripping one flange then having it anodised the alternate colour whilst it's still attached??

Contact Rampage. He did some anodizing for me recently and will know if this is possible.

Back