Replacement 3x6 Speed Gear Shifters

technophobe

Retro Newbie
I have just "serviced" my wife's old 18 speed Specialized Rockhopper with a view to getting her back to some cycling after a long lay-off only to find that one of the Shimano Altus C20 shifters is broken. I've contacted numerous local dealers and suppliers and looked extensively on-line but to no avail... I can't locate a suitable 3x6-speed repalcement.

Can anyone help? Does anyone know where I can get a repalcememnt or suggest a workable alternative that is easy to install?

Many thanks to all.

Are we talking rapidfire/trigger or thumb type shifters here :?

I find the plethora of variations from Shimano confusing sometimes and would modern 6 speed non shimano equivalents do as I suspect some of the Taiwanese brands such as Sunrace or Microshift might have something that fits the bill. Further would a higher than Altus spec component do ?

The exiting shifters are single lever type - push outward to move up the sprocket/crank sets and flick back to drop back down.

An alternative brand would be ok providing it is compatible, or, as you suggest, possibly a Shimano upgrade.

The front is fine with almost any shifter. For the rear I have a very lightly used SRAM gripshift from my son's Islabike (his hands were too small for it) that you can have for a fiver. It is Shimano-compatible. PM if interested.

I've got a set of tourney/70GS 3x6 SIS thumbies in the garage. More or less unused.
I've also got Altus style thumbies but I'm pretty sure they are 3x7?
You can have em cheap if they are of use?

Latest posts

Back