does it really pay to work ?

im in a similar situation with southern electric, their mistake but im still being made to pay. id rather tell them to stick it but the hassel well get with credit rating and dept collectors ect, so i now just pay them £5 per month
as to working, does money make you happy and could you live without it? some of the poorest countries in the world are the happiest

http://www.roughguides.com/gallery/the- ... y-you/#/10

Russell":2zbkgf01 said:
RobMac":2zbkgf01 said:
Russell":2zbkgf01 said:
Regarding the OP, what you're essentially saying is that you've happily received (albeit in error) and spent £1500 too much from the Gov't, and now you're a bit pissed that they've got the cheek to ask for it back?

Yes but who made the error?

Does it matter?

The tax office shouldn't have got it wrong but the OP should have known something was up.

I disagree they are 'THE' tax experts thats what they get paid for. And no the OP shouldn't have know something was up he not a tax expert 'HE' DOESN'T get paid to do it.

well i am now repaying £50 a month for the next 30 months.
i always pay my debts.
i am glad to see i am not on my own with this one.
and i think the system for paying tax credits is all wrong.
the average working man is clueless on paying tax.
i get payed to print barcodes not to be a tax expert.
but while i have this debt to pay.
a lot of my neighbours are living the good life.
to be able to afford sky t.v. cigarettes, alcohol, holidays. while on benefits ?
i think if a lot of the benefit cheats had to live on the very basics, they would soon be looking for work.
i suppose my original question was really quite cynical.
of course it pays to work, just don't expect to be well off.
there is a lot to be said for earning your wage, even if its not a great one.

to add insult to injury, our washing machine has just packed in and our vacuum cleaner is making a burning smell.
"life is a roller coaster, you just have to ride it"

As my psychologist told me the other day.....life is actually all about misery..........not happiness all the time like candy floss and donuts.........that's too much TV and that dam walt disney again........embrace the pain ;)

greenstiles":2b4pvv53 said:
As my psychologist told me the other day.....life is actually all about misery..........not happiness all the time like candy floss and donuts.........that's too much TV and that dam walt disney again........embrace the pain ;)

one thing i've learnt over the years is being miserable is a choice just like being happy is a choice.
under the circumstances i'm doing very well.
but i disagree life is ALL about misery.
life is a journey we all make, how we deal with the obstacles is the important bit.
life is what we make it.
i'm just glad i don't need a psychologist to get me through life.
but i understand some people need one at various stages in their lives.

greenstiles":2b4urr3n said:

Then change your psychologist, he/she's as full of shit as you are. ;)

RobMac":131plwth said:
I disagree they are 'THE' tax experts thats what they get paid for. And no the OP shouldn't have know something was up he not a tax expert 'HE' DOESN'T get paid to do it.

'we' have a responsibility to ourselves to stay informed about the issues that directly impact our lives.

This idea that we can just plod through life and rely on the gov't to look after us and get it right all the time is crap and hopelessly naive, not mention an intrinsic part of the wider problem that we have with benefits etc.

videojetman":3go1ea89 said:
to add insult to injury, our washing machine has just packed in and our vacuum cleaner is making a burning smell.
"life is a roller coaster, you just have to ride it"

I know how you feel with this, my wifes car started making a right noise and on the way back from collecting the car and being bent over the main dealers counter (not literally :D ) she hit a stone in the road and bang goes £70/£80 for a new tyre :cry:

Then i damage the tendons in my ankle as a postie and have been signed of for at the very least 2/3 weeks with sick pay only - ARSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But it wont get me down at all - NEVER :p :p :p

Back