1990 Ridgeback 701LX Project

Dossa

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Picked this up on my travels recently, its a 1990 Ridgeback 701LX 19" frame to have as a bit of a sister build to my 704XT (---> viewtopic.php?f=6&t=242373)

It shares the same Tange Prestige frame as the 704XT so is good quality and lightweight but this one has lots of patina and scratches 'n scrapes :D

img0415tph.jpg

img0416iwe.jpg

img0417z.jpg

img0423no.jpg

img0424dv.jpg

img0418t.jpg

img0419sl.jpg

img0420bwo.jpg

img0421jrz.jpg

img0422df.jpg

Cheers, Matty ;)

The catalogue image:

ridgeback1990702lx206.jpg

ridgeback1990703dx204.jpg

In a bit of a dilemma as to what to do: Gil doesn't have the decals on file which ideally I'd like to replace. The frame is also the same as the 702LX and 703DX and, ideally, as the colour scheme of the 701LX is not as appealing as the other two, the frame would be resprayed and new decals added to pass it off as either one of those two...

Any thoughts?

Build as is with white touch up paint and accept the scufffed decals?

Powder coat in a tidy colour and be decal free?

Find someone who could produce new decals and get a catalogue colour respray ?

:? :LOL:

Decals not worth the effort, it'll never be worth a fortune ;)

Powder coat + Prestige sticker = A cheap sweet ride you can thrash about and leave anywhere without worrying. Your other one can be a pampered original.

Yes, you're bang on there!

Will be getting it powder coated and use as a bit of a runabout, possibly single speed or a 1x7.

Got a spare Tange prestige decal as well so it'll come in handy now :D

Thanks, Matty

Although seeing as you like your Orange's, how about a Formula replica? ;)

Might cause a bit of a stir, which is all the more reason to do it :twisted:

I'd see if anyone on here can do the decals Matty. A resprayed bike with no decals is just a frame with parts. Get the decals and it's a rebuild/resto. You'll feel far more attached to it, or at least I would.

I've been tempted by a couple of fillet brazed Saracen's recently but have held back because they need a respray and reproducing 1989 Saracen decals would be a mare.

You don't fancy just throwing it together as it is then Matty, a bit of rat look. In vintage tractor circles, the original ones with patina fetch as much if not more than the ones that some poor sod has spent 1000's doing up. Having said that there's patina and then there's scratches
Last summer I met a bloke in Grizedale forest riding a same era Ridgeback 703, he had had it from new and it was distinctly used looking. He had originally cut the bars down so much that the thumbies were rammed up to the bulge in the centre and he had barends on it and a flexstem. You could tell he loved that bike. His mate was on a brand new Stumpjumper bouncy thing with no soul whatsoever.
I have a soft spot for stuff that looks a bit rough (no that doesn't mean that's why I married her before the comment is made)

brocklanders023":36j6bvmq said:
I'd see if anyone on here can do the decals Matty. A resprayed bike with no decals is just a frame with parts. Get the decals and it's a rebuild/resto. You'll feel far more attached to it, or at least I would.

I've been tempted by a couple of fillet brazed Saracen's recently but have held back because they need a respray and reproducing 1989 Saracen decals would be a mare.

That would be my first choice Edd, its just getting the decals drawn up.... A custom set wouldn't reallly be worth the outlay, but if Gil had them on file then a set would be winging its way to me now!

Grumpy farmer":36j6bvmq said:
You don't fancy just throwing it together as it is then Matty, a bit of rat look. In vintage tractor circles, the original ones with patina fetch as much if not more than the ones that some poor sod has spent 1000's doing up. Having said that there's patina and then there's scratches
Last summer I met a bloke in Grizedale forest riding a same era Ridgeback 703, he had had it from new and it was distinctly used looking. He had originally cut the bars down so much that the thumbies were rammed up to the bulge in the centre and he had barends on it and a flexstem. You could tell he loved that bike. His mate was on a brand new Stumpjumper bouncy thing with no soul whatsoever.
I have a soft spot for stuff that looks a bit rough (no that doesn't mean that's why I married her before the comment is made)

Nah, Paul, a rat look not for me, I like my polishing rags too much! The current favourite is Irh's suggestions of a simple powder coat unless decals can be sought. Plus the current colour combo of white/jade/lavender is a bit, errr, effeminate...

lrh":36j6bvmq said:
Although seeing as you like your Orange's, how about a Formula replica? ;)

Might cause a bit of a stir, which is all the more reason to do it :twisted:

Heathen! Couldn't do that.....! :LOL:

Really love Ridgebacks, just sold on a 602SiS which space permitting would have kept, I toyed with the idea of stripping/powder coating etc but as it was original I left it carrying the wear and tear and patina associated with the age of the bike, in my opinion leaving it stock made it more appealing. However with the plans you have a simple powder coat and some descreet decals would be they way ahead, there are some generic Ridgeback decals on eBay at the moment and you can choose the colours so there is a simple route to go down :) looking forward to seeing the outcome,

Jussa :)

Have you asked how much Gil would charge to knock a set up? You obviously have a decent enough set to copy and I don't think it would be too expensive. The Kona set I had done he had on file cost what I can only determine is his usual charge (not going to put reference prices on here) and the set he has drawn up to go on my Kili-Flyer (must get them ordered) which weren't on file but were created from the catalogue pics and the Conquest ones he did have on file were the same price.
I think he see it as the first set is a loss leader as once done and on file each new set pays for the creation work involved, worth asking how much anyway.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back