1950s James Fothergill Path Racer

little_pete

Retro Newbie
This is a bit more vintage rather than retro,

Built for last years tweed run, check out the wonderful hand cut lugs

I built it up with vintage drilled stronglight cranks, sturmey archer 5 speed with downtube shifter and drum brake lutterwasser handlebars and Brooks swift saddle with matching bar tape. With the rake on the forks it's a damn comfy bike, though you can see by the seat it's a bit too big for me but I couldn't resist this frame and have never seen another like it

Attachments

• P1040924.jpg
    P1040924.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 1,677
  • P1040919.jpg
    P1040919.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 1,677
  • P1040832.jpg
    P1040832.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,677
  • P1040852.jpg
    P1040852.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,677
WOW! That is truly a thing of beauty!
Everything on it just ozzes class, from the lugs, forks through to lovely colour.
Only thing for my tastes is maybe the tyres but thats just me and also not sure what else would use as black I dont think would suite as I think it might take something away or dull it down. Looks amazing to me anyway.
Hows it ride?

Jamie

Although I prefer period correct restorations you certainly did a fine job and it is a truly beautiful frame.

:shock: That is absolutely beautiful :shock:

Love the chrome lugs, a nice bit of masking to! :) Fantastic colour as well, can you tell me what the colour is?

It would be nice to see on some chrome rims with amber wall tyres though :)

Have you used a lamp bracket for the bell? That is a nice touch.

The Sturmey hub was second hand and came with the black rim, as I was on a budget I left it on. I plan to change it to a Mavic MA2 to match the front, I think it's a good compromise between traditional and light weight. The tyres, I was going for a path racer look, they roll pretty well actually and are very comfy, no room for mudguards though, barely fit between the chain stays near the bottom bracket.

The bell is a lovely solid brass piece from Lion Bell Works (google them) they do a bracket for the headset or handlebar mount. The ring is a little high pitched though, I would prefer a deeper ring, sounds a little like a shop bell. really suits the bike though.

Latest posts

Back