Pop! - there goes another Air-B inner tube.

I used em with quite some success actually, once i realised why they were splitting.

More talc needed! And regular deflation to reposition them. They seem to be so flexible that they allow the tyre to walk around the rim, and if they stick to the inside of the tyre at any point, you end up with 1/4 of the tube stretched round 3/4 of the tyre. Then they pop.

Butyl tubes are made of sterner stuff, so they don't allow the tyre to walk so much, and they will (probably) unstick themselves when they get slightly stretched.......
I used latex tubes from the late 90's, until i went tubeless 3 or 4 years ago. Had a couple of splits when i first started, and nothing since.

If you want to run a lightweight tube, the Bontrager RXL butyl tubes are light, reasonably priced and durable. I raced them all last summer without a single flat.

feetabix":1z5mm8nv said:
that looks like a post mortem!...... :shock: .......i still use the red dust caps to this day, but all my air b tubes have gone to the big latex man in the sky!!.....

Same here!, red caps on the Backfire, tubes were less lightly to puncture but when they did it was all over as seen above.

At least it was proper retro...not one of those new fangled Eclipse inner tubes.
Only 56g for a 26 x 2.2" tube, but 49Euros each :shock:
Tubes-057-copy-600x337.jpg

I would be crying if that burst...

All the best,

Barneyballbags":qpmpc16z said:
The rim wall hasn't given way. That's the tyre bead.

Isn't it?

Yeah. Rim is fine.

The idea above about needing more talc makes sense, the issue only really appeared when I hauled on the anchors from 30mph, which to me, didnt make sense at the time it happened.

Back