1991 Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Grumpy farmer

Dirt Disciple
Here's one I acquired before I fell out with ebay last year.
I love this bike, it's a bit rough round the edges but it rides great. Previous owner had owned it from new but had mainly used it on the road as it came with slicks on but the block also gave me the original ground controls which are in good order Everything else apart from the bb, chain, koolstops and headset was as it was supplied to him. It was given a thorough testing by my vast bulk round gisburn forest 8 loop a few backs. It got round without any real issues. However following a clean the following weekend, the left hand DX sti exploded as a result of my fists of ham and the chain didn't want to let go of the middlering. I also found that the rear wheel had attempted to unlace itself. So it is now fitted with some 7spd altus shifter (sorry yes I know but they actually work ok and aren't that ugly) a new hg41 cassette and a new shimano 7 spd chain and a black sram 10spd 34t middle chainring which works fine with 7spd setup.
Also the bike came with it's original touchup paint which unfortunately hasn't faded to the right shade.

Attachments

• Rockhopper 91.jpg
    Rockhopper 91.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 2,488
Thanks for posting that, brings back memories, mine was a 15" frame and rode really well, got the weight down to under 25lbs, with campag Olympus mechs, cook cranks and zoom stem, bars and seat post. Rode it with the local club and raced it too. Went AWOL from college in 93 and was replaced with my butler.

Carl

I think i have a spare left dx shifter in my parts box in my "shed of dread" that you can have if you PM me your address. Altus indeed, we can't have that bro ;)

Rich

PopsTrippin":3c4xht0s said:
I think i have a spare left dx shifter in my parts box in my "shed of dread" that you can have if you PM me your address. Altus indeed, we can't have that bro ;)

Rich

Thanks for the offer but the right hand shifter was just about dead when I took it off as well, despite attempts to resurrect it, it still missed upshifts and there was a lot of play in the bottom lever despite it being a stiff as chuff to push. Eventually I may buy some thumbies but fundings tight and the altus's were only £20.
Paul

Back