Dartmoor Classic June 2013

hirameuser

Retrobike Rider
Has anyone else entered this sportive, If so are the using modern or Retro bike?
I've plumbed for the 107 mile loop but with the amount of riding I haven't done this winter I have got to get a lot more miles under my wheels.

Phil

Hiya Phil, you've been quiet! Become a roadie?
Didn't get an entry into the Classic, have entered the Force cancer charity ride from Exeter the week after. Only planning the 55 miler though & on my newest bike - a 2004 Lemond Buenos Airies.
Hardly been out on a road bike since last years Classic.

good to here from you jimbo,
I would not class myself as a roadie, I have had road bikes since I was 15 but that was way before Mtb's were around and that was all that was available then. I can remember when one of my nephews got a grifter thinking why did they not have those when I was that age! I was never a member of a bike club but was a member of a canoe club in Harlow from the age of 14 and we always did all manner of things. With Harlow's bike tracks it was one of the fastest ways to get about the town when your parents don't have a car.
I did the Cornwall Tor a couple of years back only the 75 mile one, but now they have changed the route so much I am not doing that. I missed out on the Dartmoor Challenge last year so got in early for this one. My old 1986 Hirame will be finished in the next week so was at half a mind to use that if it still rides as well as I remember. I can always fall back to my 2008 Dirty Joe which soaks up the bumps better if my bones are feeling fragile.
Either way I am going to have to start getting some big miles in, with the weather and road conditions up this area I have hardly been out and have not been able to get any enthusiasm for the turbo. Must try harder.
How are things with you?
When I last looked at the D/Classic web site they still had places on the short route.

Cheers

Phil

Hadn't realised there still might be places on the classic for the 55 - but committed to the Force charity ride the week after now anyway.
Good luck with the training, do you fancy the Quantocks mtb ride on 7th April?

Hello Jimbo,
Thats a possibility I will have to check with the boss as there is a wedding(not me) and some other bits booked up.
I will get back to you.
Weather up here today was not as per forecast (Thunder storms) stopped raining about 10.00 So I went out about 11.00 on a 25 miler with the roads wet with growing pot holes mostly in sunshine and little wind. Just what the doctor ordered.

Cheers

Phil

Latest posts

Back