CIOCC San Cristobal - Tom Crowther

fiks":143ri9ld said:
Here's a Fangio I once saw:

fangio2.jpg

Either the forks on that bike have been changed or the frames just been stickered Fangio, frames similar to this were issued to the Fangio team stagn iers but had an F logo surrounded by a wreath of leaves on the fork crownns same design as the head badge sticker I had one similar but a bit more up market It was ex Eric Van Lanker`s training bike

Robbied196":25xsn877 said:
krankers":25xsn877 said:
I live about a mile from where crowthers was. Used to love peering in through the windows on a Sunday. Its now a chippy :(

Lovely bike btw!

:shock: A witness to the shop :shock:

Be interesting to hear what he had in his window? :D Just racing bikes or a bit of everything?

I did hear it was a chippy and checked it out on google street view! Bit ironic really.

Thanks for your comment :)

I clicked on this thread as I remember "Tom Crowther Cycles"

I grew up in Solihull and used to pass the shop as my dad worked in an office in Sheldon. It had Raleigh blue/yellow/red livery all around the outside of the shop. I think I only went in once, I always thought it sold raleigh shoppers and low end bikes to be honest. Last time I went to Solihull in 1998/9 I bought an Arcam amplifier from a hifi shop opposite and the shop was still there. Shame it has gone but that area of shops seemed to be going downhill to be honest.

ciocc tom crowther mystery

The Crowther frame looks very much like it was made by the Ciocc company.The cut outs on bottom head lug and bracket shell are very good indicators.Conti-Ciocc has a video on you tube showing the manufacture of frames at their factory in Canonica D'adda Italy.It seems back in the 1980s they had the capacity to build a large number of frames.Concorde the dutch company had frames made by Ciocc.I own a Concorde Aquila which has the cut outs in head lug and bottom bracket shell.Another indicator of weather the Crowther was made by Ciocc is to look inside the bracket shell and see or feel pins sticking out.The frame I have is pinned together before braze welding and the pins remain inside the frame having been filed off flush externally.Pinning was used by some Italian builders but I don't think many UK builders used this method.From what I have seen Ciocc sometimes made Concorde ,Flanders and their own Conti brand and like many Italian firms sub contracting was nothing unusual,
I hope this helps, cheers Stuart.

I can't help with identifying the bike i'm afraid. Interestingly (for me) I have worked in the brewing and dairy industry for the last few years, dealing with Alfa Laval on an almost daily basis. I had no idea they ever sponsored a team!

Re: The CIOCC - Tom Crowther Mystery

Just a passing coment, but this bike is lovely. I really like the attention to detail in the lug work.

Re: The CIOCC - Tom Crowther Mystery

I've been doing a few updates including stitched leather bar wrap, I won't be in a rush to do that again!

I've also repainted the pantographing, that had been done in yellow at some point and not very well.

Bought a Campagnolo Record seat post and Record chainset which has had a bit of painting.

Swapped the wheels for large flange Record hubs although I'm thinking of rebuilding them with stainless spokes and polished rims.

Finally, I need a nice set of amberwall tyres :)

The plan is to end up with a bling English girl crossed with an Italian :)

Attachments

• DSC03564.JPG
    DSC03564.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,262
  • DSC03566.JPG
    DSC03566.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,263
  • DSC03567.JPG
    DSC03567.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,262
  • DSC03568.JPG
    DSC03568.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,261
  • DSC03569.JPG
    DSC03569.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,262
  • DSC03570.JPG
    DSC03570.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,262
  • DSC03571.JPG
    DSC03571.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,263
  • DSC03572.JPG
    DSC03572.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,262
LOL that leather bar wrap sounds like hard work.

To confuse things: My Ciocc San Cristobal (3 digit serial, 1978 Columbus decal) has an English threaded BB and headtube!

Ciocc said many bikes were custom made for customers, so this could've been a one-off for somebody in England? No idea who rode it, it's a 50 cm frame, but it just shows BB threaded in Ciocc can vary.

(beauty btw :)

Hi, just came across your mystery saga. I can't add to the bike story but just to say Crowther's was the shop for all serious cyclists in Solihull in the early 80s. It may be didn't look much outside but rest assured this was the best shop for top end equipment and frames. Always well looked after by Jan (Tom's wife) and experienced assistant Fred. Sad to see it go, if they could have held on another few years they would have picked up the cycling boom and have been alright. A good proportion of the Solihull CC rode Crowther frames, so it may be worth sending an email to the club to see if anyone can shed any light on your frame? PS. Also fondly remember the hi-fi shop next door, still have my Celestion speakers and Rotel amp!

Re:

krankers":3o97lq7z said:
I live about a mile from where crowthers was. Used to love peering in through the windows on a Sunday. Its now a chippy :(

Lovely bike btw!

Do They taste good though :?: :LOL:

Back