Removing decals?

Stuff removing the decals......I'm too busy with my new prostitute red nails and keegan'esque perm to worry!......

feetabix":3nl2opvi said:
Stuff removing the decals......I'm too busy with my new prostitute red nails and keegan'esque perm to worry!......

Whilst offering a light to sailors from your Zippo lighter...

Why do you need to remove decals before powder coat? Never known that before, surely the blasting will take care of them in about 4 nanoseconds.

Rob Atkin":zvlmi836 said:
Why do you need to remove decals before powder coat? Never known that before, surely the blasting will take care of them in about 4 nanoseconds.

Surprisingly enough vinyl decals will put up quite a fight against blasting media.
We put bits of clear hose of a similar material over threads before sending items for blasting and even when they use the rough stuff (chilled iron grit) the hose comes back looking almost untouched.
I bet they want them removed to save on the labour costs of doing it themselves(probably by hand) otherwise they would damage the tubes by hanging around too long with the nozzle. Too much pressure and too much time in one area creates heat which can distort metal.

bren":1pua2ti3 said:
Rob Atkin":1pua2ti3 said:

Surprisingly enough vinyl decals will put up quite a fight against blasting media.
We put bits of clear hose of a similar material over threads before sending items for blasting and even when they use the rough stuff (chilled iron grit) the hose comes back looking almost untouched.
I bet they want them removed to save on the labour costs of doing it themselves(probably by hand) otherwise they would damage the tubes by hanging around too long with the nozzle. Too much pressure and too much time in one area creates heat which can distort metal.

I called the powdercoater and this was exactly why. The decals could be visible after powdercoating if you leave them on during blasting.

As I didn't have a hair dryer or any of the chemicals mentioned, so I just scratched the decals of with a knife. But good to know how to do this if I want to save the paint.

Latest posts

Back