chewed up front mech screws

Logic.Al

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
The adjuster screws on my front mech are a bit buggered. Tried to remove them last night with a better screwdriver. But the won't move. How can I remove them to swap them with a newer set?

Sometimes you can take a really sharp screwdriver and a hammer, and beat a new groove into the head which you can then use to carefully remove the screw. However sometimes it's just impossible.

I had the same problem with one of the screws on a rear mech. I ended up filing down the bits inside the mech's cage to adjust the maximum travel.
If I ever swap bikes or need to adjust the travel on that mech again, I'll just have to buy a new mech.

Had this happen to me. Remove front mech, then wedge allen key into mech so adjustment screws aren't weighted by the mech (does that make sense? Can't think how else to describe it).Try tightening slightly with a screw driver/ needle nose pliers. Apply liberal dose of lube/plusgas/gt85 etc as needed. Then loosen.
Replaced all of mine with Ti hex head socket bolts. Hex head socket bolts are so much better. Wonder why Shimano don'ty spec them (everything else is hex key)?

Got a dremel? you may be able to use a cutting disc on the dremel to cut a new "groove" into the head, then undo it with a flathead screwdriver. Those screws are pretty small though, so even with a steady hand it might be a tough job even with a dremel.

Back