One for the Lawwill lovers - Schwinn rebuild with twist ;-)

Re: One for the Lawwill lovers - Schwinn rebuild with twist

can only echo what others have said, that looks fantastic and thank you for sharing the journey!

...not often you get to design your own bike, and a good advert for BTR's technical ability and welding skills as well.

Would it be rude to ask what it cost to have that frame designed and built to your spec

Indeed, although I was aware of what I wanted, and the geometry details I'm no design or CAD expert and the guys at BTR deserve massive credit for bringing it to life, I can't sing their praises enough at the moment :)

cost wise...well...not cheap, but not expensive really when you think about what they've done, design, tweak, build etc, less than buying a boutique carbon (or alu for that matter) sus frame brand new ;-)

(if you want an actual figure I'll happily reply by PM, but don't really want to talk £ on the thread if that's OK?)

Awesome! I'm a Lawwill fan/collector as well. Have a 99 Homegrown that I ride plus enough spares to build a second.

One question, did you consider getting a new trunnion made to use a more modern rear shock? Seems a shame after all that work/money to be using the old Rock Shox.

Good to hear it, makes sure you keep the Lawwills running as long as you can!

One question, did you consider getting a new trunnion made to use a more modern rear shock? Seems a shame after all that work/money to be using the old Rock Shox.

I'm using a Fox trunnion and a recentish Fox Vanilla R with a very light propedal tune. With the new design there is room to run anything from a 1.5 - 2.25 stroke shock for different travel options, and the trunnion sits a little higher than on the original design so you have more spring length options than before as well.

The RS shock in the frame only pics was just being used to prop up the frame while it was with BTR.

I have thought about trying to get something made to allow use of a modern air shock but I didn't bother in the end as I like the feel and reliability of coil shocks (had a far few problems over the years with Fox air shocks...), and I've got a few Vanilla shocks to keep me going for a while, they're basic but very reliable and good enough performers when you're only dealing with 130mm of travel :)

I totally applaud builds like this one, absolutely love it. Also amuses me that just a few years back the Lawwill would have been a full-bore downhill bike with Boxxers etc and raced on the World Cup, yet these days the same level of travel is deemed as a so-called trail riding 'standard'..... shows just how quickly times change.

Echoing what everyone has said, that's an amazing frame! Well done sir.

Favorite bike this year. Love it!

That really is a superb effort, and the result looks absolutely fantastic :cool:

Claps hands in applause...

Great work, really like it and good effort!

Thanks for the comments guys, glad you like the story, and the end result!

After completing this project my mind is already racing thinking about what to do next ;-)

Back