Kona Cinder Cone 1992 - finished with lots of pics P3

Re: I got an email from the LBS, the other day...(Kona conte

So here we are. Reflectors removed the pedals were put in the bin shortly after these token in the kitchen shots. The clean-up begins this weekend.

dsc0049ypo.jpg

dsc0059xw.jpg

Can you make out where their spraying wasn't quite as comphrensive as it should have been?

dsc0058zy.jpg

And here?

dsc0050hwn.jpg

dsc0051mf.jpg

dsc0053qre.jpg

dsc0054unm.jpg

dsc0055ipj.jpg

Check out the ovalisation!

dsc0057sp.jpg

Love the early 90's Kona's, especially the Cinder Cone.

I have a 1990 and I wished it was still in that condition!

Great find :cool:

wow, that's a great find :D

she will be more the pristine when you cleaned her ;)

That is a find and a half.

They are still out there people :)

Yep, they are and sometimes the karma Gods shine down when you least expect it and turn up a gem. I think you just have to be patient...

...I tried her out round the block last night. It's gigantic, I've never had a seat so low in a frame since I was a wee nipper. Mr Birkin had it right at the bottom which set my pulse racing thinking the seat post would be stuck - thank the lord it wasn't - but like Anthony mentioned on a recent ebay out thread, I reckon this was sold hard by the shop back in the day to clear stock. Mr Birkin was a good 3 or 4 inches shorter than me so no wonder he didn't ride it much...

al-onestare":3nrmrp9t said:
. Mr Birkin was a good 3 or 4 inches shorter than me so no wonder he didn't ride it much...

And i was very very drunk!!!

rowley_1024.jpg

And so the restoration begins like any should...by taking it apart :LOL:

One of the challenges I faced was that nothing had ever been replaced or stripped for maintenance before. This meant some of the bolts and particularly the cranks were super tough to remove. The good news is that nothing was ruined and no threads were stripped. I also got a good arm muscle work-out!

There's no need to remove the bars and levers - just a simple clean up will do the job and I don't want to scuff the black finish. All the cables will be fine after they've been lubed apart from the front brake cable that was shot. Everything has been bagged up, ready for a good degreasing, clean, rinse and Autosol (probably over Easter). The frame will get the same along with a T-Cut.

dsc0119lp.jpg

dsc0120om.jpg

dsc0121mx.jpg

Of course, there was something that baffled me completely. What is it with Suntour cassettes? They are my nemesis! I had similar issues with the Rapide and Lava Dome and this one looks even more ridiculous - where are the teeth / prongs for the cassette tool? A quick google reveals I need two chain whips to remove the small ring - is that right? Does the rest screw off after you remove that or is there another tool needed after that? No wonder the their technology never caught on!

dsc0122yp.jpg

dsc0123ni.jpg

22 year old bearing grease...that was an experience :LOL:

Looks like my living room. I would recommend regreasing your headset if that is what your crusty dried hubs look like.

I love the kitchen work shop! My Mrs recently went out, I took the opportunity to bring my bike inside and proceed with some light component installation. Foiled by an early returning Mrs not particularly happy that her kitchen resembled an effing bike shop :facepalm: , I think were her exact words! Be safe!! Great find - looks mint. :D

Narhay":m8x5rtbh said:
Looks like my living room. I would recommend regreasing your headset if that is what your crusty dried hubs look like.

Just for you, I removed it ;) Nothing like 20 year old untouched grease that has gone a bit lumpy. Busy weekend with the bikes what with the A'ha finished (here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=239073&start=75) and tuning up the Explosif (here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=210117&start=30 ).

Everything got a thorough de-grease, clean, scrub and rinse. All the remains on that side is the cassette removal (need another chain whip) and the bottom bracket (need the adapator). In the meantime I can make a start on the polishing and reconstruction.

dsc0150nf.jpg

Need the Suntour BB adaptor to get this baby off.

dsc0144bg.jpg

dsc0145xm.jpg

dsc0146evn.jpg

dsc0147nu.jpg

These have come up really nice - stamped with TB on the steerer so the decals aren't lieing ;)

dsc0149uln.jpg

The usual t-cut action will follow once the BB has been serviced. The saddle might be salvagable after all - after a gentle but thorough clean the dirt and dust along with some paint has been removed leaving it black (not brown). The worn patches should return to black after some careful shoe shining action. Fingers crossed!

Back