Ritchey P29er Rigid (custom build)

OK, despite all the palava over fitting the tyres to the rims, once in action (at 30-odd psi) they are unreal down my local hills. Left two (front suspension) colleagues for dead on a 400m vertical drop 2km descent..Thought I had them set up a little soft on the ride up, but with tubeless setup I can really let rip on the technical downhill. Tyre is so big it must be equivalent to a couple of inches of suspension with the full carbon Niner fork keeping it all in a straight line.

Purity of the ride - I'm sold!

Thanks for the update on the X-kings, I've got a set ready to try myself.

As for pressures, I think it takes some time to get used to the feeling of really lower pressures. But there's a lot to be gained if you are riding at 30 Psi. Since going rigid steel 29er some 5 years ago I have gone lower and lower in pressure every season. Now I typically set up with 16 Psi front and 18 rear, and only if it is particularly rocky or rooty I may bump it to 18/20 or 20-22 tops.

YMMV and maybe your trails are very gnarly, but try and find out how low you can go before you start hitting the rims on the trail. Today I rode the Singular Pegasus SS with 2.35 Nobby Nics on my local trails. Set up on Arch rims with 16 Psi at the start I stopped to let out some air halfway in the ride. It's not the first 10 Psi you drop, it is the last 1 Psi that makes the big difference ......

Enjoy!!

Thanks for the info! My first real run out tubeless and I'm just thinking like I normally would re pressures! I'll defo have a bit of experimentation coming up! I suppose I'm thinking at 16 stone weight, if the pressure is too low, at speed, things might get ugly very quickly!

Don't take my word for it, just lower the pressures and ride. Find your sweetspot.

If it does get ugly you've found your mark (or ride different lines). But if it doesn't, lower some more and ride .... Give it some time though, you also have to adjust to a new feel to your ride. Note I'm a Clyde myself, and I have also ridden very low pressures in the Alps, Ardennes, Eiffel and Harz areas. Not as low as in the Dutch flatlands, but not by that much.

Enjoy!!

Just a note also on the Hope brakes. Those who have them know this already, but having had generic Avid elixirs on my (now sold FSR Spez) these Hope stoppers are just on another planet! I could never get what all the 'one finger braking' crowd were talking about - now I know! Truly off the wall performance

Back