Fork query

Robq7653

Dirt Disciple
I have a marin muirwoods pictures below and wanted to put some rock Shox indy I have on it, the question is that the current for have a thread I believe and the top headset is threaded but the indy's are can I replace the headset and fit the forks them stem just slot inside? Please help as I don't want to colour code the indy's if I can't fit them.
CEAC1F4B-D02B-47D6-9DD5-0445C56A9326-4708-00000242EB8B2153.jpg

if the Indy forks have an unthreaded steerer the you can fit a new headset (Aheadset style) and a new stem (again to suit the Aheadset style steerer), that should allow you to use the Indy's.
Looks like your front brake cable runs on a roller attached to your stem? the Indy's should have a brace with a cable stop on it, so just re-route the front brake cable outer to this and you can still use the canti brakes.

or you could just cut threads into the steer tube in the indy...

this is assuming both steer tubes are the same diameter...

That's mint. Shame to spoil it with suspension forks, it wasn't designed for them and it may upset the steering.

xerxes":2xw7rds9 said:
That's mint. Shame to spoil it with suspension forks, it wasn't designed for them and it may upset the steering.

Ditto..

Whatever you do Never sell the original fork... wrap it up safely and tuck it away... Make sure that the fork always stays with the frame because the odds are the next owner (even 10-20 years down the road) will want to put that stock fork back on

xerxes":k3s1lc86 said:

Saddle looks uncomfortable though :LOL:

Will effect the steering will it, in which way? These are the indy but waiting a spray up once I've figured out how to remove the legs lol. I did think thead as I really like the stem and bar combo. I guess it doesn't have to have sus but would like it to have.
706CEA11-A5AE-4860-A2F8-8EDE62D9BBFC-3509-00000178F55A5376.jpg

Will effect the steering will it, in which way?

The axle to crow length will be longer and that will tip the frame up around the rear wheel axle and alter the steering geometry slightly which may make the steering feel odd. It may be that it's only slight and you may not notice or be particularly sensitive to the change. Whereas I seem to be quite finicky about steering.

How much travel do the forks have, 60, 80 100mm, more?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_and_motorcycle_geometry

Back