£2000.00 What retro bike?

Can't recall ever seeing a retro on which I'd spend that sort of steam - and very few moderns either (except a Ti Jones with 14 gears in a can). Most expensive RRP bike I ever had was a Giant XTC SE1 - list was about £2,700, I paid bit less than a grand for an unridden one. And yes worth every penny.

Seems to me that in retro over say 500 notes and mainly paying for the stickers and the paint job - neither of which make the BIKE any better.

And .....the much vaunted on here '82 Cleland is standing at 600 quid no bids with 17 hours to go on th' 'bay. The change from 2 grand would buy you any complete retro without a fancy name!

(If the Cleland weren't so far away I might have had a flyer, having just received an unexpected final payout from an uncle's estate that would more than cover it!)

oldave":su5sgrfd said:
(If the Cleland weren't so far away I might have had a flyer, having just received an unexpected final payout from an uncle's estate that would more than cover it!)

May I suggest asking for a local to pick up and post on, or maybe even a courier. Personally as much as I respect it I wouldn't buy it, it is simply too different. I think thats why it is so far lacking bids. You can have as many people as you want sitting around and saying well I could buy it but [insert benign excuse here] unfortunately it may not fetch the money it's rarity and influence possibly deserves because it is simply not what people are comfortable with, perhaps a situation the cleland breed are familiar with.

As for the OP. My two Roberts will be being sold this year

Wandering OT I know, but all fair comment! Different I don't mind, more the thought of all the maintenance it would demand and deserve I think TBH.

For 2K I'd sell my unicorn....

94 Manitou FS with matching Manitou 3 forks, Manitou Stem and Answer bars. Manitou seatpost and Flite saddle. Full Xtr groupset with Manitou specific band, Hope Disk Brakes and Hubs with M231 rims wearing Dart and Cannibal tyres

Thats the sort of toy you'd get for 2k, sure there are other frames that won't crack but none that will look as beautiful or evocative as the Real manitou FS!

Any British handbuilt Estay, Obviously for 2k, it would have to be showroom with top spec..... :cool:

Had all my 2k bikes for a lot less so I couldnt do 2k on one bike am afraid, for me ... A small, varied yet rideable selection of affordable bitd bikes i lusted over.

1991 marin bear valley, 1991 trek 8000, 1989 kona lavadome in yellow splatter, 1990 gt Tequesta in a really nice weird grey spatter i saw once, 1990 saracen traverse..... And a 1991 gt tachyon. All very affordable in this 2k price, maybe all at once........

RBG

Back