reccomend a bivvy bag for touring

dav101

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
with the weather looking better ive decided to invest in a bivvy bag, rather than lug my tent about while on tour.
can anyone reccomend? for around the 50 - 80 mark?

Ok they're a little on the weighty side but these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/german-army-i ... 460ce8c04c

Are amazing, down filled, waterproof, will keep you snug and warm in most inclement weathers and they have sleeves ! Take some paracord and a tarp and you'll need nothing else or a sleeping mat and sleep on the ground, sometimes they have a little frame for the hood which is kind of like a tent for your head. Had one for years and it's never let me down

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
they look pretty good but not really what i was after, looking for a conventional bivvy bag, something i can fit my rucksack in too

I looked at the bivvy bag idea and went in the end for a Jack Wolfskin Gossamer tent. It's just on the tent side of bivvy bag, really similar to a US Marines surplus tent I had years ago.

The price is in your range. I've used it for touring, it's surprisingly roomy inside. Construction is really sturdy, but it's not heavy either.
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cf ... 51/level/3

hamster":11ee4oje said:
I looked at the bivvy bag idea and went in the end for a Jack Wolfskin Gossamer tent. It's just on the tent side of bivvy bag, really similar to a US Marines surplus tent I had years ago.

The price is in your range. I've used it for touring, it's surprisingly roomy inside. Construction is really sturdy, but it's not heavy either.
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cf ... 51/level/3

ive already got a north face thats very similar in size but it opens from the side, dont want to be carrying the poles, an inner and an outer, hence why im after a bivvy bag.

defo would have bought one though if i didnt already have the north face! looks like a good bit of kit

thanks, dave

I've been thinking along the same lines, but having used a very basic (ie"big plastic") bag in the old days, I'm thinking of something a bit more swish for my next forray, and will prolly go for something like this:

$(KGrHqFHJC0E-P-jLtkHBPklSv13NQ~~60_58.JPG

Lots on the bay about 80 or 90 quid.

The issue with bivvy bags is they often don't save any weight over very light 1 and 2 man tents which offer much more room and comfort.

a basic bivvy is all im after really, but something of good quality thats going to keep the moisture out. my north face weighs somewhere in region of 1250g including poles but a decdent light weight bivvy can be about 500g, and they double up as a big waterproofish bag for your sleeping bag and rolley mat

rbay for belgian army bivvy - no idea if any use to ya ... i thought bivvy bags had a hood with a pole to support itso your head doesn';t get wet ?

Back