Cheap car insurance for teenagers. ?

Add yourself as a named driver, having an experienced driver on the policy makes a difference. Try other sites and always check all levels of cover. We managed to get a quote of £2700 for my 17 year old son in a 1.6 Mazda 323, though our postcode helps.

It's also considerably cheaper to get insurance with a provisional licence, not much help when she passes her test though.

Blimey - I knew rates were going up for youngsters (yep, I just used the word youngster without flinching) but that is mad.

Does going for a classic car policy make any difference? That's how I used to roll. And these days, 15 year old cars can be pretty reliable.

I'd better start saving up .......

my stepdaughter passed 2 days ago...she is just 18. and used comparison sites, ended up with onecalldirect at £1400 fully comp, 5000 miles and £500 excess!!! ford ka.

doctor-bond":1xfrblzt said:
Does going for a classic car policy make any difference? That's how I used to roll. And these days, 15 year old cars can be pretty reliable.

From what I've read on car forums it's not always easy for teenagers to get classic insurance (I think there is a similar issue with "free insurance" new cars) and some classic insurers are starting to increase the minimum age of the car too. I believe 20 years has been the norm for a while but some are going to 25-30 years.

I'm wondering if the car is the problem here; Have you compared quotes on a smaller engine? 1.4 TDI is pretty large engine for a first time driver.

A daewoo matiz or similar is likely to be MUCH cheaper to insure.

Well the Citroen C2 is only insurance group 3. I looked at Polos and the 1.9SDI (non turbo) is more expensive to insure than the 1.4tdi.. and the tdi is more powerful.

I could go for an Aygo which is insurance group 2, but double the price to buy.. and about £400 cheaper to insure..

Swings

Roundabouts

Daewoo Matiz is group 2 for the 0.8 engine and group 3 for the 1.0.

... but they're both petrol, and the 1.0 has about 8bhp less than the C2 1.4HDI.

...and the Matiz is about 20+mpg worse than the C2..

Back