retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I now have an old Orange clockwork, bit scruffy so in need of paint,
It was sold to me as a 1998 version but after checking the MTBkatalog site I am not too sure as they seem to have gone to V-brakes by then and this one is cantilever ready.
I have seen other clockworks that have a different rear canti cable stop to mine so just wondering if you guys can tell what year it is by either the picture or the frame number :?:

Frame number A2070149

121_2103.jpg

While I am at it, what colour do you think looks best on a clockwork ?

Orange
Orange & white
Pink & white :p
Yellow & white (I have seen it)
Green

Bit against black as the decals I have wouldn't show up.

Not sure on age, but looks older than 98.

Orange and white is my fave (like my old Ali o), but yellow/white is rare and will get the questions asked.
Pink was used on the Prestige more IIRC.

Nice though. :D

what does the cable routing for the front mech look like? i have a vague recollection this varied between models... although i am possibly confusing clockwork, prestige and the later efforts

pre 96

I have a 98 clockwork in eyewatering green.

It has a forward facing seat tube slot with a separate collar, no holes in the side of the wish bone seat stay and no cable stop on the wishbone.

Before the 98 clockwork there was the C16R from 1996 - 1997/8 and the refore I deduce that yours must be pre 1996. For my money it looks like a 94/95 bike. I always liked the satin black, If you want to have the stickers made then the type face is just 'times new roman'.

Otherwise the orange and white is just too classic!

Enjoy, they are great!

@Sticklegs - Where does the f mech routing go on yours? had they abandoned the bottom pull over the top of the BB shell by then???

looks a lot like my first one...

...which would have been around 90/91? I definitely took it back to Uni with me in 91...orange and white, can't remember the front mech routing, but the shape of the seatube and those two holes in teh side of the wishbone mount look familiar.

I remember the second one I got (a 15" frame 92?) had a pretty basic crimped metal guide above the BB shell and i seem to remember thinking this was quite different to the first one...

Have a picture of the 19" somewhere that might show it...will look tonight

That orange and white one was a 19" frame for a little 5' 4" rider...sheesh what was that shop thinking.

Have you got a pic of the rear triangle? - that should confirm it. The earlier up to '91 frames had thicker stays and very poor mud clearance, also under BB routing. The new '92 model had much thinner 'pencil' seat stays and a brazed on pressed steel loop on top of the BB. IIRC the down tube profile also changed to become wider (they just squashed it!) at the BB junction. Besides this I seem to remember the old style orange/white fade was stopped in '92.

Here is mine as a reference:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2560&highlight=clockwork+onza+flite

Hi guys,
The front mech cable routing is over the BB (See pic), and it does have a 'ovalised' bottom end of the seattube.
its a 1" headset as well.

I always liked the satin black

Used to have a satin black one with STX & manitou sport forks, so wanted something different this time.
Wasn't black a special paintjob :?:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/retrobikeguy/121_2107.jpg
Rear triangle ➡️
121_2108.jpg

grateful for all your help chaps.

Yes, looks like a '92 (those decals are post '92 too). Different drop outs on earlier models too and note fatter stays - see pic below. When I ordered mine in late 1991/early '92, I ordered a pink and white. When delivery came they were satin black - this was the first batch of the new design frame. Seems they did do orange/white after all.

Nice bike - keep it orange/white - it is the classic colour for old Oranges IMHO.

Attachments

• IMG_2913.JPG
    IMG_2913.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 2,689
Cable routing

@MH1000... Cable routing is all top tube with no facility to run anything other than a top pull front mech (ie no roller boss or cable stop on the chain stay A'La early 90's Trek)

Back