Explosif Dream

Should this build thread be in >97 or 97>?

• ===> 97 (Pre 97)

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • 97===> (Post 97)

Votes: 30 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re:

dongward":7x3hmvdy said:
al-onestare":7x3hmvdy said:
<cough> this should be in the 98 forum <cough>

More than 50% of this build is pre 97, with the only post 97 item being the frame. as it is not a true-period build i put it here because it would interest those into pre 97 components. If its an issue for rb, perhaps you can speak to john for me and get it moved into whichever is the appropriate section? :?

They were available from August/September's '97 so therefore they were built in '97 and thus qualify...

...get some Covonia for that cough ;)

...this has all been chewed over before, but the cut-off is '97 and '97 runs right up to December 31st; so why shouldn't a bike that was built/available to buy in August/September '97 be eligible?

It a '98 frame so it a 1998 modern Retrobike. Hence 1998+
The other stuff is irrelevant.

Bike world is in model years ;-)

Reynolds 853 is retro (dates back to 1995). Shimano's 98 range is retro (virtually identical to 1996).

Surprised so many people want to shunt bikes off to the quiet end of the forum on the technicality of "98 colours".

I know where my 98 Klein will appear (frame and most parts launched in late 1995). Sue me :mrgreen:

lrh":y1hl0884 said:
Reynolds 853 is retro (dates back to 1995). Shimano's 98 range is retro (virtually identical to 1996).

Surprised so many people want to shunt bikes off to the quiet end of the forum on the technicality of "98 colours".

I know where my 98 Klein will appear (frame and most parts launched in late 1995). Sue me :mrgreen:

I know the feeling, my "RETRO?" 1998 Kona Explosif has 8 speed XT 737, V-brakes, 98 Bombers, Reynolds 853 STEEL frame, polished stem and post, Mavic 217's and lots of period blue x-lite bits is deemed VERY retro to all my friends on carbon, 29" wheeled, full suspension, disc braked bikes, but unfortunately its seen as too 'modern' to be a retro here. I would love to share a detailed build thread, but refuse to include it in with the modern bikes. How old exactly does a mountain bike have to be to be concidered a 'proper' retro? :?:

Back