Kona Cinder Cone 1992 - finished with lots of pics P3

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
I got an email from the LBS, the other day...
...I opened it and read, it said (they were suckers)...

Hi al-onestare,

We have just had a customer in who is interested is selling his pretty much new condition fully rigid Kona MTB which he reckons was bought 22 years ago. His name is crazy drunk guy and you can contact him on XXXXXXXXXXXX.
Many thanks,

I kid you not! You know when the RB bug has gone too far when it starts infecting those around you :LOL: So, a couple of hours later I thought about ringing this guy but he called me first. A bit of a garbled conversation was had; he had no idea what the model was but that it was about 20 years old and off-red. We agreed to meet this evening outside the LBS so I could take a look.

In the meantime I took a good look through the excellent archives and narrowed it down to either a 91 Hahanna or Hot, or a 92 Cinder Cone. It was never in a month of Sundays going to be a Hot...

Last night I saw I had a load of missed calls and it was the seller who thought we were meeting there and then. I pointed out we were meeting tomorrow and he responded by telling me the same story about him being an actor who had an audition in London but lives in Brighton....so I donned a jacket and popped over as live very close to the LBS. There he was hiding under some scaffolding but out and proud was a 1992 Cinder Cone in that ever so slightly burnt red, like paprika.

It is PRISTINE. The "story" is that he bought it new, rode it a couple of times and gave it to his Dad. His Dad never used it and it's been living "on a wall" in a dry garage / out-house for the last 21 years. Everything is original bar the pedals which are some awful cheap shit. There's maybe one or two really tiny, chips - but the paintwork is unbelieveably clear and glossy, like it was built up yesterday.

All it needs is a good degrease and clean, inner tubes and pedals. The saddle needs a good buff and that's it. The cables are fresh, the chainwear is non-existent. Oh and did I mention it's a whopping 21" model? If you've not seen one, this is it:

92Page7.jpg

The Suntour kit shifts really, really smoothly and it looks the nuts with the slim thumbshifters. The rims, especially the front are as fresh as a daisy. I could go on...so I will. You don't see it in the catalogue shot, but the graphics have a green edge to them that really plays off the red. Also the QR you see on the seat post doesn't exist, instead, I guess it's a 1st generation dog collar as we better know them. Much more practical. Also the O-beam seatpost design is very similar to the standard seat-post design you see in later Kona models, where-as the O-beam later on became more sophisitcated. It's still quite heavy but compared with the 89 CC I had (viewtopic.php?p=1496804#1496804) it's notably lighter which for a bike this size is admirable. I've no idea what that brace on the rear canti is; none is fitted on this one. The down-tube ovalisation is very notable - super cool.

...anyway, I'll get to work on her this weekend and get some proper pictures up.

Back to the story. I got it for a good price because he was roaring drunk; proper red nose, a good strong odour of a single malt (or meths). Again, he told me he was an actor and was going to star in a film with Robson Green. He kept apologising for the saddle condition (it's fine, after a buff and polish it'll be like new) and even after we'd said good bye he followed me along towards my flat. Thank God he took off and took a hint! :LOL:

Re: I got an email from the LBS, the other day...(Kona conte

haha,when i read the title i started to read out the PE lyrics too!

cool story!

oldschoolfool":80fpmqcf said:
haha,when i read the title i started to read out the PE lyrics too!

Good man! (Glad a few of us "youngsters" got it ;) )

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jc9VeMC6rg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDHl5djnYM4[/youtube]

KarmaKona :LOL:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi76bxT7K6U[/youtube]

Hymn of the BIG wheel

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TrishCMmpc[/youtube]

At last Some Massive attack fans.

:cool:

Back