MOTOR CHAT

Good news! New car ordered yesterday, pounced on a cancellation to get the wait down from 5 months to 5 weeks. First ever brand new car, Dacia Duster 4x4. Not very cool or terribly exciting but a whole heap of car for the money.

The wee barchetta was looking lovely as well! Still happy new car when it comes.

Rumble":2cr45mii said:
Good news! New car ordered yesterday, pounced on a cancellation to get the wait down from 5 months to 5 weeks. First ever brand new car, Dacia Duster 4x4. Not very cool or terribly exciting but a whole heap of car for the money.

just had a wee look at the price of these. :shock: Right enough, a lot of car for the cash.

Be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Aye I'll miss the wee fiat right enough. Will be nice to have at least one car that doesn't leak though!

Re:

Mr Panda":28l6g1e3 said:
Persevere - they're good mechanics and therefore not always able to answer the phone. Can take a few attempts. Recommended on the various BMW forums too :D

They've done my 328 since I bought it - no dramas

Forgot to say i got the job done last month, very pleased with the work, would use them again and recommend them, bill came to £490 (with me supplying the parts), that was including two new brake back plates though (£41 + VAT each from BMW), roughly 7 hours labour.

Recon the car now needs new rear shockers (passed the MOT ok but handling is wierd), when replacing the rear shocks it'd be crazy not to replace the springs and top mounts too, priced these bits, came to £350 :roll:, will be able to do this job myself but the whole of the rear interior has to come out to get to the top shocker mounts and the arch liners need to come out so at least a days work :roll:.

I'm discovering an old 7 series beemer is a two grand car with 50 grand car running costs and repair bills :roll:

The Pajero is no more :cry: A pretty catastrophic MOT failure means it's going on ebay as spares/repair. It was noisy, remarkably impractical, leaked and had an mpg in the high teens but I'll miss that car!

Same here, cars not going to be fixed, nobodies prepared to go near a weird plastic box of a microcar.
Electrics are stuffed and access to said wires is problematic..........bugger.
However I may just try something stupid since its now worth zero in its present state. Its effectively a quad buggy with car type bodywork bolted to the tubular frame so if I remove and junk the bodywork, access to electrics, mechanicals improves dramatically. I then set it up as one of those tubular steel framed road buggies you sometimes see with nae windows and such.
Even if I dont I can access the bits and bobs it might be worth selling seperately before getting the breakers/scrappy to haul away whats left.
Got nothing to lose but maybe something to gain :|

Stick it on eBay as spares/repair and collection only. Someone will buy it and you'll likely get more than scrap value.

When i look on ebay and see what individual used parts are going for giving it to the scrappy or selling it on ebay complete fills me with horror.
The gearbox is new and worth £800, a door goes for £40, a rear quarterlight £50, Engine £200, a wheel £65 a pop.
Its worth a fair bit in parts but I might consider selling it for £800 complete emphasising the new gearbox and all the bits you get with it.
I can spot a lemon at 100 yards but unfortunately dont know its crap until I buy it, a subconcious talent :(

Back