Mystery Frame 1989 753

Please forgive me if I am telling you some things you already know but I’ll presume your knowledge of bikes is quite basic.

I'd say your knowledge was pretty good! :D to have the foresight to blow your student loan on a fantastic piece of British cycling history back in those days borders on genius! :cool:

Beautiful bike, for what its worth, as mentioned, i'd clean it up, change the hoods, bar tape, & fit banana decals. Then treasure it and just enjoy it! Post up some final photos as well so we can all enjoy it too! :D

Hi All,

In answer to your questions about my next steps, I'm going to revert to as an original specification as I can, so I've identified the following components that are under consideration to change :-

Stem - it's an 8cm ITM, I'll change this for an 11cm - although I find images with both unfinished and painted alloy ones, suggestions as to brand welcomed, I guess a Cinelli one would be perfect ? I may also change the bars at the same time, as most images are of unpainted bars.
Hoods - Yep, I'll revert to White - but probably use the black for when I actually ride it & the white for show
Outers - some of the cable outers are black, and need to revert to a white outer.
Wheels - staying, staying, staying - I've already removed most of the rust off the nipples with tin foil, and will see how this fares.
Rear Skewer - as before it's a Tacx trainer Q/R, so this needs to be changed to a Corsa Record one.
Tubs - front one is a decent Vittoria Corsa CX period one that's staying, but the rear is something cheap, that is starting to unravel a little, so will be changed to something better.

Paint I'm going to carefully touch up, and I invite suggestions as to the brand and shade to use.

Stickers, Top Tube Banana Decal, front forks Raleigh as per images on the web, and a stick on Raleigh Badge.

But what will I do with it ? Ride it on high days and holidays, as one would the Ferrari in the Garage (no there isn't one of those too)

I will fully document all work and changes - where is the best place to do that, is it this thread, or should I start another ?

Finally - thanks all for your positive comments and encouragement!

Start a new thread.

Good luck with the build, i am sure i won't be the only one watching it with interest. A suggestion - write a small piece about the history of the bike in the thread too.

Richard

+1 for a new dedicated thread, and best to put it in the Readers' Bikes forum I'd say. With this fantastic bike then you should have your eye on RBOTM once you've finished the work you have in mind.

Looking forward to the new thread and lots of photos!

Cheers,
Gareth.

How timely - I wonder what inspired BMC Lamborghini to select that colour scheme.

No doubt they read my post....

Attachments

• BMCLamboThree-620x307.jpeg
    BMCLamboThree-620x307.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 386
unfortunately citrix an inspired colour scheme doesnt automatically mean beauty. Polishing the turd somewhat. That seat cluster arrangement is horrible, so much for modern sleek lines.

I’m restoring an ex ANC Halfords team bike, and for what it worth it’s your own choice on how far to take the restoration. In my case it’s involved having decals made exactly, and a full re-spray plus chrome, the cost as with a classic car is becoming crazy. I’m even going to the extreme of having the orange turbo recovered in orange calf skin, but I want the bike as close to a show bike as I can.

Luckily old Campag can be polished up using Brasso & metal polish, I have even had some items re-anodised. Most small parts – i.e. jockey wheels & period cables can be bought of a certain auction site but again prices can be silly. You can also buy period tubs on the same site. Also speak to Nigel at Campyoldy he has lots of NOS parts.

For decals speak to Nick at H Lloyd Cycles he can do almost anything. Someone like Ellis Briggs can do touch up jobs.

As for the levers some of the team used friction levers, contact Chris Walker I’m sure he’ll clarify for you. I have a set of friction in very good condition if you are interested?

If you are looking to sell for top money then its worth getting it right

Good luck with it

Hi,

I have uploaded some photos on image shack t(see Link Below) that show all the transfers and details on Dave's 88 bike. I understand that when my bike was renovated great care was taken to ensure that the respray and decals were an exact copy. The 89 paint scheme on your bike would have been the same apart from Campagnolo stickers replacing the Shimano ones and as the bikes are the same size they would be in approx the same place

http://imageshack.us/user/banana753

I am loving this link keep up the good work!

Tim

ColnagoC59":3o0dxvxc said:
I’m restoring an ex ANC Halfords team bike, and for what it worth it’s your own choice on how far to take the restoration. In my case it’s involved having decals made exactly, and a full re-spray plus chrome, the cost as with a classic car is becoming crazy. I’m even going to the extreme of having the orange turbo recovered in orange calf skin, but I want the bike as close to a show bike as I can.

Luckily old Campag can be polished up using Brasso & metal polish, I have even had some items re-anodised. Most small parts – i.e. jockey wheels & period cables can be bought of a certain auction site but again prices can be silly. You can also buy period tubs on the same site. Also speak to Nigel at Campyoldy he has lots of NOS parts.

For decals speak to Nick at H Lloyd Cycles he can do almost anything. Someone like Ellis Briggs can do touch up jobs.

As for the levers some of the team used friction levers, contact Chris Walker I’m sure he’ll clarify for you. I have a set of friction in very good condition if you are interested?

If you are looking to sell for top money then its worth getting it right

Good luck with it

Thanks - I've been surprised at the positive impact some elbow grease has had on the components, will follow up your 'leads' on decals and touch-up, I am looking to get it right, but not to sell on :)

Back