1982 Cleland Aventura FOR SALE (again!)

Sure my posts keep disappearing :?

Kickstarter.com was the one I was thinking of, not sure how appropriate it is or how it compares to crowdfunding but you never know, might be useful :)

Loving the original ad! :cool:

Even though there are plenty of differences, I'm kind of seeing the Surly Krampus as a descendant of these bikes.........
29" wheels, wide rims & the ability to run tyres at very low pressures, discs rather than drum brakes. Sliding dropouts, so the ability to run the bike with a hub gear, thus making it pretty much all weather proof.

ajantom":bs2x4z46 said:
Even though there are plenty of differences, I'm kind of seeing the Surly Krampus as a descendant of these bikes.........
29" wheels, wide rims & the ability to run tyres at very low pressures, discs rather than drum brakes. Sliding dropouts, so the ability to run the bike with a hub gear, thus making it pretty much all weather proof.

Though there is no known link between the Krampus and the Clelands they do share the same ethos as do FatBikes in general. An off-road, off-trail touring ethos. Surly and Cleland also have a similar design approach in that they are both innovators who do not follow the latest fad or fashion like the vast majority of bike companies.

When the first Clelands were designed there were very few rules constraining the design of off-road bicycles. Modern designers and their customers have many preconceptions regarding what an off-road bicycle should be and do though Surly appear to be far less constrained than most.

It is likely that future FatBikes will become more Cleland like because many of the problems experienced by FatBike riders have long since been solved by Geoff Apps designs. Perhaps the Surly Krampus is the latest stage in this evolution towards more efficient and all-weather FatBikes?

The latest Cleland news is that some bio-mechanical academics in Belgium have concluded that in theory non-round chain-ring with off-set cranks and combined with off-axis swing pedals will develop 7% more power than standard pedals and round chain-rings.. A combination that Geoff Apps has been using on his Cleland TT for the last 3 years. Of course the road-racers need to be quick in utilizing this technology before the UCI ban it. :facepalm:

Or perhaps the bike industry will wait 30 years before adopting this idea, like they did with 700c wheeled mountain bikes?

They call it off-set, I call it 'retardation'.

Looking at the chainset from the off-side (transmission side) of the bike; when the major axis of an ellipsoid is vertical, the crank should be at aproximately 2:30, or 15 degrees above horizontal.
This angle varies a little bit for a 'normal' bike layout.
A lot of people believe that the crank should be horizontal, or at about 4:30, about 30 degrees advanced.
Research suggests that 15 degrees retard is optimal, and I agree.
I cannot see that reducing that angle of retardation, or advancing the orientation would provide any advantage whatsoever.
However, the optimum retardation angle will be different for recumbents, and different again for different recumbent layouts.

If 'out of round' chainsets become popular again, will the correct orientation be adopted?
At least, this time around, we have internet forums, so some people will know their onions.

For anyone dropping in on this thread she's now in the hands of a new owner (Me!!) and in the early stages of restoration.

Always fancied a Highpath back in the day and didn't know these were the forerunners.

Hello Mike ~

I hope your Original Aventura project goes well.
Post some photos of the process for us, eh?

I will do Geoff.

Gutted we couldn't meet up for a ride last week though and I only just heard about the meet up too but it clashed with our BMX clubs regional where I was marshalling.

Started to strip it down now and have managed to get the pedals off without damaging the cranks (pedals may not go back on though!!)

Back