A Keith Coppell in silver

hazeyblue

Devout Dirtbag
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and I've just picked up this well used Coppell... I'm told it belonged from new to a now retired gentleman (as his daily rider) and was filthy dirty upon collection. Here's how she looks after an initial clean-up.

Despite the mish-mash of equipment, she rides well. The frame and forks are heavily paint chipped and there's one small dent to the frame (pic makes it look worse than it really is).

I bought her because of Coppell's reputation on Merseyside (and didn't want her to fall into ignorant hands, so to speak). However, my interest is in old 3 speeds and I'm in two minds as to what to do - make her mint once again, or pass her on.

I know the very basics about Coppell, his era and shop location etc, but was wondering if anybody could help in identifying this particular frame - age, style etc.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• _EFC6602.JPG
    _EFC6602.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 4,373
  • _EFC6604.JPG
    _EFC6604.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 4,373
  • _EFC6605.JPG
    _EFC6605.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 4,373
  • _EFC6610.JPG
    _EFC6610.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 4,372
Hiya

I am Keith Coppell's daughter Paula, i'd be interested in whatever information to manage to find on this bike, if you could give me the serial number, i may be able to give you some information about when it was built unfortunately dad didn't keep all the records from when he was making frames for very long after he retired, but i may be able to give you a rough idea.

Unfortunately dad passed away last year so I can only give you a rough idea.

Thanks

Paula

Hi Paula,

Thanks for getting in touch, greatly appreciate your kind offer.

I'd heard of his passing, condolences.

I passed this particular bike onto another forum member, up Southport way. I will direct him to this post. In the meantime I'll check through my photo file to see if I photographed the serial number. All I know is that the previous owner had bought it new, presumably from Keith's shop in Maghull.

My best friend still has one of your dad's bikes. He dealt with Keith direct when bought it from new back in about 1988 - it's a beautiful bike. I also know of a guy in North Wales who has 3 or 4 Coppells'.

PaulaCoppell":z8sd7rvc said:
Hiya

I am Keith Coppell's daughter Paula, i'd be interested in whatever information to manage to find on this bike, if you could give me the serial number, i may be able to give you some information about when it was built unfortunately dad didn't keep all the records from when he was making frames for very long after he retired, but i may be able to give you a rough idea.

Unfortunately dad passed away last year so I can only give you a rough idea.

Thanks

Paula

Well I bet you didn't expect Keith's own daughter to reply! I certainly didn't. Thanks Paula, welcome to the forum condolences for your dad.

Frame looks great and could build into something nice and versatile with it's slightly longer wheelbase and mudguard eyes. Vast majority of parts are far newer than the frame and certainly not what would have been fitted from new.

A couple of quick snaps of the bike my friend owns...

Attachments

• _TMC6637_01.JPG
    _TMC6637_01.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 3,856
  • _TMC6640_01.JPG
    _TMC6640_01.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 3,856
I'd be very interested in seeing any bikes of dad's that anyone has and if any one has serial numbers that would be great, could build some kind of database and it may make dating any bikes a lot easier.

Dad loved his bikes all of his life, riding and building them, nice to know so many people still have his bikes, treasure them everyone was built with care and love.

Paula

Hi Paula,

Have a look at this site, and what the owner has done in relation to Harry Quinn's serial numbers: http://classicrendezvous.com/British_is ... gistry.htm

Within the site, there are links to other British builders - including a few from Merseyside.

Maybe ask for Keith to be added? Perhaps knowing there's a place for owners of a Coppell to register their bikes may a few more out.

I have just bought a Keith Coppell bike and am due to pick it up tomorrow night. I am pretty sure that it is a 531 frame with racing geometry, although it is wearing mudguards in the blurry auction photo below.

I would love to find out more about his frames / history etc and will be sure to post some pictures at the weekend once I have got it home.

:xmas-big-grin:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 3,621
^
More out of interest (being a 54/56cm rider), I was one of the watchers on that - glad it went to someone on here... :)
Looks to be a great bike.

Back