Kona Kula 2006-Gone but not forgotton

91lavadome

Old School Hero
Had this bike when I lived in NZ-rather nice it was to(the bike and NZ).
8527038873_68b43f216e_b.jpg

An out an out XC race bike totally unsuited to the miles of "natural" freeride trails around christchurch and the downhill trails of queenstown, but I enjoyed it. Commuted on it, thrashed it around, rode the 42 traverse on it. Crashed it-crashed a lot for some reason, probably cos of the racy geometry and natural trails that the locals used to build. Sold it when I left to a big fat kiwi who was gonna put slick tires on it and "get fit" :cry:

Easton ultralite frame-very stiff, fox forks-very plush but temperamental. Hayes discs-really missed the modulation of hope but the hayes did have power. Geometry-not as nice as my other konas but it did the job.

8528153742_e09d8c16bd_b.jpg

8528154370_5ccb5d6a93_b.jpg

8528154092_115ccc9078_b.jpg

I really like these Kona Kula's, sounds like you enjoyed it alot in spite of it being a bit unsuited to the trails. Bet you were fast as anything between the techy bits!

What a great place to live and ride though.

Looks pretty tidy...I started off riding bikes on unsuitable terrain. My Koa had the hell jumped out of it, and a pair of Mozo Pro 4.5's. I was much less worried about ruining the geometry than I am these days. Also ad an original Mount Vision that got abused, but there were a lot less bike types back then.

Only heard good things about riding in New Zealand...I have family out there. Would love to get enough cash together and go there with my bike.

Yeah, running my Kona Kilauea (97) with 100mm Z1's forks has improved the ride dramatically. Tend to ride it just like my Cotic Soul

funny you should mention that...

was just about to start a thread as have just stripped the frame down ready for a respray.

In the meantime here is a pic. Apologies for the tangent from a 2006 Kula in New Zealand to my 97 Kilauea in Edinburgh.

Full story now here - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=246509

Attachments

• kona2.jpg
    kona2.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 663

Latest posts

Back