Cheap car insurance for teenagers. ?

GT-Steve

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Need a bit of help here, from anyone with hints tips and tricks to keep car insurance costs to an absolute minimum.

My daughter is 19 in July, and will have passed her test in the next month or so, so looking fir a cheap car/policy. The car is ins. group 3, so not a ball-breaker, we've kept mileage low, voluntary excess high and also added the black box option, but we can't get it under £3-4k a year.

Any advice greatly received... Don't really want to just resort to adding her to my policy as a named driver...

Wow!

Might be cheaper to buy a new car with free 1yr insurance, E.g. I think Citroen still do that.

Edit: only deal I can see is http://info.citroen.co.uk/new-cars/car- ... citroen_c1

£99 per month over 4 years = £4752 with 1 yr free insurance. Should be cheaper to insure in years 2-4 but you would have to do quotes and add it all up.

Have you got a quote from elephant? crank that excess right up!

My 20 year old, just turned, went to Elephant for his first car last Saturday and got fully comp for just over £1000.

Alison

GT-Steve":pf33xdvs said:
Need a bit of help here, from anyone with hints tips and tricks to keep car insurance costs to an absolute minimum.

My daughter is 19 in July, and will have passed her test in the next month or so, so looking fir a cheap car/policy. The car is ins. group 3, so not a ball-breaker, we've kept mileage low, voluntary excess high and also added the black box option, but we can't get it under £3-4k a year.

Any advice greatly received... Don't really want to just resort to adding her to my policy as a named driver...

Holy crap! Is that fully comp?

Cheers for all the help so far....

yagamuffin":35miicxu said:

Nope - third party only on a Citroen c2 1.4 tdi worth 1200quid, excess up at the max and 5000 miles a year..

GT-Steve":zmvutbk6 said:
Cheers for all the help so far....

yagamuffin":zmvutbk6 said:

Nope - third party only on a Citroen d2 worth 1200quid, excess up at the max and 5000 miles a year..

My sons quotes were better for fully comp than 3rd party, never worked out why.

Alison

I asked my own insurer that, a couple of months ago and apperntly it's something to do with showing more care and responsibility..

When I was a teenager tpft was waaaay cheaper than comprehensive.

GT-Steve":3d55d8vz said:
Just tried elephant….......

£6200 tpft
£7100 comprehensive

Bugger... :(

:shock: :shock: Bloody hell, can she not wait a year before she drives.

Alison

Her boyfriend lives like 40 miles away, so she's getting really impatient with the waiting. Plus she's looking at going full time at work - that will require more regular travel to-and-from..

Back