Dumb Shmoo/Campy compatibility question

FMJ

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Will 9 speed Ergo shifters work on a 9 speed Shimano cassette? There's a .2mm spacing difference w. a 1.7mm difference in block width. Anyone tried it? I prefer the action of the Ergos myself.

It's weird, I have a set of 9 speed ergos on a Shimano cassette on my road bike, and it's pretty much fine,
sometimes a bit jumpy in the big cogs, but I can live with it.

However, I had a cyclocross bike with the same set up and it was much worse - shifting was very inaccurate and
jumped quite a lot. The only reason I could put up with it was that I mostly rode round in the mud the lowest gears and didn't shift much :oops:

I presume it depends on how well you set up the indexing in the first place.

In short, in my experience, it sort of works but don't expect perfect accurate shifting all the time.

Johnny

It'll always be a compromise with dodgy shifts and with age will only get worse. For faultless shifting either get some 10 speed ergos or get a conversion kit from Mercian to amend yours to 10 speed. You can then use these with a 9 speed shimano rear mech and 9 spd cassette by attaching the cable onto the mech hubbub (google it) style. Will then work faultlessly.

I figured it would be simial to running XT 7 speed thumb shifters on an 8 speed cassette. Set the middle cog up so the upper jockey is centred and there will be just enough side to side play to cope with the extremes. Thanks for the advice from those that have tried it.

It will be ok not brilliant.
Contrary to above I find that it most definitely wears in. I guess the play in the chain deals with the small amount of inaccuracy.
if you are going to try 10 speed then first just try a 10 speed Shimano cassette, (borrow one) or get an Ambrosio which I find is spot on.

I had a Wheels manufacturing inc. cassette called 'the accelerator' which allows you to use a shimano/sram spine pattern freehub with campag kit. It is basically an Ultegra cassette with machined down spacers to campag spacing, you use a campag rear mech, chain and ergos and it works perfectly. They aren't cheap, approx $180 but very good quality, I sold mine on ebay recently for about £35!

Otherwise I find it's a bit hit and miss mixing campag and shimano kit, I've had some rigs that worked a treat and some that were dogs.

If it's just the ergos you like, fit aShimano rear mech and clamp the cable with the Hubbub modification.
http://www.hubbubcustom.com/articles_ergopower.html
ergolever_xtergo.jpg

Latest posts

Back