Black spokes

stumpjumper1990

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Can anyone tell me when they first start using black spokes for MTB's???

I want to make a set of new wheel using black spokes, but don't know if it is period correct.....

Cheers,
Bart

I fitted mine in 1998, but am sure Specialized were peccing them much earlier than that

I am pretty sure the black spokes craze started beginning with 1998. The Crossmax look was very in those days. I can vividly remember STX-RC equipped Scott hardtails with full black wheels and IRC Mythos tyres in rustwall trim. Quite the eyecatchers! I am pretty sure 1997 was still a "normal" year. I devoured magazines regularly and can't remember standard black spokes before 1998. I'd go for silver ones if I was you.

Mx

When I started riding in '92, my flatmate had a brand new Repco K2 (australian brand), that had black rims laced with black spokes, black nipples and blackwall tyres. We all thought the wheels were the sickest thing around.

well... thats how I remember it... I could be completely wrong, if you ever find a pic of one, then that would confirm (if i'm right or my memory is shot)

I'm planning to use black spokes on a 1994 bike. If they were available in 1992 it would be OK. A pic would be great!

Back