The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The Hi-Fi Chat and sales thread

I might have something for you shortly if you don't mind sizing up a little? Not 100% which is staying and which is going yet is all :?

MikeD":2xsspvq5 said:
I'm enjoying the ubergeekery of this thread, even though I understand about 5% of it :)

Anyway. I have a need for an amp for my office. Doesn't have to be very special since I'm playing MP3s off a PC. So anything considered -- my main priority is cheapness, to go with the Wharfedale Diamond IV speakers I paid 99p for.

I have a few dinky amplifiers from Aiwa. Will post up pics later.

Those Diamonds are fairly inefficient and need quite a bit of amplification to get them going, even at modest levels one of the ebay amps may not be enough.

Is it these things? If so, I'd use a set of cheap minisystem speakers, Goodmans, Bush, that sort of thing. Light super efficient drivers requiring little power.

AM086-3m.jpg

MikeD":3w1nzuve said:
Interesting. I'd looked at those and sort of assumed they'd be junk just based on them being cheap. But I know pretty much nothing. Is there likely to be any discernible difference between a £30 one and a £15 one, beyond the more expensive ones being more pleasingly minimalist? :)

They are found in newer portables, expensive docks, expensive PC speakers etc so should be ok in that sort of envelope. MP3s via a basic soundcard will be the limiting factor to ultimate sound quality, but you're not after that are you? Other than that, LGF had some cheap 2nd hand amps.

<edit> LGF, still got that mini Aiwa pre / power then? Mike, buy that! It's ace!

I am looking to buy a diy amp to drive my acoustic energy's. I am looking on ebay for amplifier kits, but dont know what to really go for. I am thinking that 25wpc would be enough to drive them. Something with 2 channel, 25wpc, line out and a pair speaker terminal clips/plugs.

OR, would one of the lepai's be enough to drive my acoustic energy's as the 20wpc and my ae's say 25wpc minimum

simonlovell99":g2k9knsz said:
I am looking to buy a diy amp to drive my acoustic energy's. I am looking on ebay for amplifier kits, but dont know what to really go for. I am thinking that 25wpc would be enough to drive them. Something with 2 channel, 25wpc, line out and a pair speaker terminal clips/plugs

Why? Just for the fun and satisfaction of building it? If so, try Velleman kits. Good quality and very complete. Maplin require a bit more involvement and probably aren't as good quality.

I think it be too much and expensive to build a amp and those lepai's are ok'ish but what can you expect for £40! Spec's are a bit concerning - 10% thd! and only 25wpc into 4 ohms. I think i stick with my teac av receiver. But ideally want a nice stereo amp to replace it, i have listened to a couple amps around the £300 mark and wasnt that impressed by what i heard and couldnt tell the difference between my teac and listening to the likes of marantz, denon and nad.

They're all TriPath stuff, and I'd steer clear of them if it's going to be your primary music system. As LGF said, they dont have lots of power (most are powered from a plug block PSU) and in for critical listening, they don't really cut it as the technology is flawed (IMO).

That doesn't mean they are no good - end of. They're perfectly adequate in a second music system / office / car etc. You'll have more fun building a discrete component, proper amplifier too. Kind of depends on how deep you want to get into it.

If you cant tell the difference between what you've got and expensive kit, don't waste your money changing it. Buy more beer :)

just picked up a Marantz PM-4000 amplifier.

If it works it will be £30 UK posted...

Excellent deal for some lucky person!

I will post any further hifi build / modification ponderings on the new 'Projects' group to avoid burying sales and wants under tons of technobabble. Feel free to drop in and enjoy / comment / nod-off as you see fit :D

Mark, keep your eyes peeled for an FM4 for me? Not too bothered early or late version.

Marantz looks a bit overkill for my needs, although I like the sound of the price :) Tell me more about dinky Aiwas...? :)

Back