Does anyone have a Vauxhall VXR8?

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
It must be the whole mid life thing. However, I'm thinking that our second car doesn't really do too many miles. So, why should I pay a premium for a diesel car when it'll take many years to pay this premium back. Both my wife and I have many years no claims and I am being forced to sell my little sports car as the bar stewards have effectively trapped it in the garage with an unwanted speed bump scheme.

I have always wanted a big V8 and apparently the car as lots of room inside (front and back) for the rapidly growing twins. So, does anyone own one? You seem to be able to buy a lot of car for the money.

And, I'll be able to rev it outside the drive of the idiots who wanted and have pushed the damned speed bumps through setting their car alarms off and bringing a little of the hassle into their lives that they have put into mine.

Yeah get one, for all the reasons you stated. I get passed by one most days when I cycle to work and it sounds lovely on part throttle, I keep meaning to get in the guys way and piss him off a bit so he gives it a boot full :mrgreen:

NO hands on experience, Sorry,Just another armchair pov :LOL: but the views held on it are great..

Aussie imported Holden (Vauxhall) Monaro isn't it? Very good value, practical and simply engineered drivers car. Well worth a closer look and test drive

No hands-on experience here either, but once I have enough money, I'll be buying one.,,

If you do get one, go the whole hog and get the supercharged version :twisted:

Nope not me but have had the pleasure of being in one , very fast, very loud and very sideways ;)

What more could you want :cool:

What is the point unless you do track days ? The UK isn't the best place to live in if you want a car that has any kind of performance whatsoever. Seems a lot of people on this site don't seem to care about polution or the environmental merits of cycling, just seems to be a lot of cock waving about biggest and best or shiniest Klein.
Apologoes if this seems negative but why have a car you can't use to it's full potential ?

I've driven VXR8s inc the supercharged one several times but on only track (VXR promo events), never on the road.

I drive (and occasionally track) a Nissan 350z for reference, so am familiar with powerful rwd cars.

The VXR is a different animal. Its more powerful, heavier and I would say less forgiving than the 350z. It is easier (if thats possible) to provoke it into going sideways, infact on one track session it started raining and it was a wrestle to keep it going in a straight line, any hint of power out of a corner and you needed some opposite lock! When you have the traction control system on (as was always on in my sessions as it was a demo car) it is much less restrictive than the Z.

Fantastic car and brilliant fun, but I'm not sure I'd like to daily drive one, requires a lot of involvement in bad weather. But then again tracks can be pretty greasy in the rain so not a true reflection of road conditions.

B77":2ephzw9b said:
why have a car you can't use to it's full potential ?

I ponder this about my 350z. However I do less than 7k miles in it a year (effectively a second car). I live in a place where I rarely encounter traffic jams. Yes there is no way I would use the performance on a daily basis, but every now and then on the road you hit a complete sweet spot in it, the noise of the engine, power out of the corner its just sublime - the same feeling as when you nail a downhill run on the MTB or beat your best time on strava. My insurance is only £300, tax £270 and it returns 27mpg petrol, so effectively it costs only a few hundred more to run than a boring diesel.

I would so go for it.... in ten years time cars like this will be outlawed socially and economically in this country.

they arn't based on the monaro, but the commadore (or the "taxi" as they are known around here).

My old flatmate had one of the old versions that he spent a bazillion dollars on to try to get to handle and then a bazillion more to go faster. His boss had one of the 4wd monaro version ones...which my other flatmate used to love blowing his doors off in his standard GTR...

Better to import a Ford F6 Typhoon ;)

Do it !!!! There sexy as hell and I think share the same chassis as the new American Chevy camero ( as the Americans can't do corners) I've only got a Astra coupe turbo but been to oz and been driven in one out there and smiles all the way

B77":1rbarbl4 said:
What is the point unless you do track days ? The UK isn't the best place to live in if you want a car that has any kind of performance whatsoever. Seems a lot of people on this site don't seem to care about polution or the environmental merits of cycling, just seems to be a lot of cock waving about biggest and best or shiniest Klein.
Apologoes if this seems negative but why have a car you can't use to it's full potential ?

more a case of hobby, interest, passion or dreams, maybe? If you work your ass off, why not spend your money on something you're going to get enjoyment out of, doesn't have to be interpritted as dick waving? Not many of us get to use our bikes to their full potential either.

And as for pollution, modern high performance cars are far more environmentally friendly and aware, than a conventional family car was 20-40 years ago. We should infact be looking at public transport, freight etc. that have the heaviest use to polution ratio.

just my opinion.

Back