anyone know anything about vespas?

Chute55uk

Retrobike Rider
GT Fan
I have been tempted by a 1968 px125. its in peices, the bike was stripped and blasted 10 years ago and then left in bits in a garage so will need re blasting. apparently its complete but needs a new loom as the one it has is "a bit dodgy"
the engine was rebuilt 10 years ago as well.
Ive got no issues building it I just dont know what to offer the guy. Im aware full resto ones are worth a few quid but whats a basket case barn find worth?

Firstly, there's the blasting that needs to be done, as well as all the work afterwards.

Secondly, check the inside of the gearbox. If it's been rebuilt that long ago and then put in storage without oil, chances are the internals have started to corrode. That'll clog up the clutch really fast and wreak havoc in the gears themselves.

Thirdly, there's the wiring loom. Sure, you can find those, but they won't be cheap. You can build a new one yourself if you have the patience (I did that for my FZR400 a decade or so ago, and still have nightmares about it). Then again, who says that the loom is to blame for any electrical gremlins? For all I know it could be a faulty ignition coil, or even worse, a faulty generator.

Keep all that in mind when deciding how much you want to offer. Resto projects like that usually are put on hold for a reason, and few sellers will ever admit that it's a problem with the bike itself.

Sorry to break it to you that way. I've restored a few bikes and mopeds before, and am merely speaking from experience.

There could be a nice bike in there and such a restoration is always an adventure to begin with, so there's no need to be completely put off.
Just keep the worst-case scenario in mind when you make that offer.

Then of course there's the issue that once you've completely and lovingly restored it, its going to be a Vespa. Much better to start out with a box of bits that will build into a proper motorcycle. :p

If its being advertised as a 1968 PX125 then walk away. P-range didn't come out until the late 70s and the PX models didn't arrived until the early 80s. It could be an earlier model with a PX engine but that obviously means its worth less. Getting a new loom isn't an issue there's plenty of places that do them for around £30 but the type you need will depend on what frame and engine combination it actually is. If you're still tempted check the frame very carefully, they rust if the wrong bits have rusted it not always cheap to get it put right.

Its the frames you've got to watch, pressed steel welded together jobs can be martyrs to rust, have a good look inside and out. Vespas are good bikes, ignore the not motorcycle joke ;)

I don't know much about Vespa's but my uncle had a Lambretta and always used to say he spent more time fixing it than riding it :D

Hmm sounds like I'd better steer clear especially if it's not even a px thanks for the input fellas

Riding one is a good way of waking your neighbours up early on a Saturday morning. At least a neighbour by me does EVERY Saturday :shock:

For the noise it makes you would think he is doing 80mph!

But I'm not bitter. :LOL:

Back