new hub design!

alanf

Senior Retro Guru
was looking on kickstarter and came across this..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gvHV5jSryRA[/youtube]

I've seen it too and think it looks pretty nifty but it's not clear how sturdy they are or what the total set up cost for a rear wheel would be. Ill wait till they come as standard.

Nice design and looking forward to seeing it on an MTB. However there's nothing new about keeping the cassette on the frame while the wheel is removed.

Not sure about it at all, my instinct tell me that the skewer/axle part only insert partially into the cassette. I can't see any way it will be as secure or long lived as a normal arrangement.

I keep thinking back to how we were told freehubs are better than freewheels because of the bearing spacing. This must have a similar compromise with the axle not being supported fully.

Raging_Bulls":1ulybv58 said:
Nice design and looking forward to seeing it on an MTB. However there's nothing new about keeping the cassette on the frame while the wheel is removed.

Agree - there are very few genuinely new things in the world of bicycles - someone, somewhere has tried it before. :)

In general - not sure about the design at all. Can see what they're trying to achieve but to the average cyclist of the type likely to take a wheel off a bike, is it that much harder, really, to flick to the smallest cog and pop the lot out? Not sure the benefits are convincing for me - esp. not with how infrequently I'd be likely to take advantage of them. Can also see it being a draw back if I pop the wheel out and chuck the bike in the back of the car - more likely, you'd think, to bend the bolt holding the free hub in place.

I like the initial voice over by ''Garfield the cat ''..............some close ups would belay fears that this system is actually secure and will not wear quickly.

Back