Square taper, grease or not!!!!

minor_LEGEND":1ycrw4es said:
The fact of the matter is, if you take new components out of their packets & assemble & crank on a BB axle, there will be traces of lube from the mfr. Infact a lot of shimano's cartridge b/b came with a smear of white grease on the drive side tapers.

My own view is to not grease the tapers but lube the bolt threads to get good conistent torque.

I can't understand why you would grease threads to get consistent torque, but not the shaft.

People often mix and match ISO and JIS spindles and cranks (some of the Japanese BB sets, like Hatta and Sugino, seem to sit about halfway between) with no serious issue, surely grease or not is barely worth worrying about when you can comfortably get away with that kind of mismatch long term.

When I was riding for Royce uk bitd,I was ALWAYS told by cliff-(the owner of Royce uk) to NEVER grease the axle as it will reduce the life of the cranks because on tightening the crank bolts,the cranks will try to be forced further onto the bb,meaning the square taper will enlarge

Back