Square taper, grease or not!!!!

Now what might the subject of said thesis be? How many RetroBikers does it take to change a light bulb? The Phenomena of Mass Hysteria Among RBers perchance? Or perhaps Much Ado About Square Tapers?

One would think that the 1 - 2 mm being talked about here are desired inches on some part of male anatomy.

Raceface and Topline grease.

...and anyone who has split or deformed either the DS or NDS or both tightening them up with or without following the torque values please raise your hand now or press the voting button beside you.

Woz":p51zpjim said:
Raceface and Topline grease.

...and anyone who has split or deformed either the DS or NDS or both tightening them up with or without following the torque values please raise your hand now or press the voting button beside you.

Never split my greased race face yet, with no torque tool.
Have split an m900 that I didn't use grease on. Of course no proof it was due to no grease or 20 years of use ;-)

I doubt toplines are the best example, like asking about early middleburn

gerryattrick":3jnbvl1z said:
This has got the potential for a great thesis for a Doctorate :shock:

Only for those studying mental health issues in middle aged males :LOL:

Ding, ding, ding, ding. Round 5 gentlemen. We have a winning thesis subject. ... Mental health issues in middle aged males.

OCD anyone?

Sorry, that comes as standard here doesn't it??!!! :facepalm:

Frankly Just put the damn cranks on with or without grease, whatever takes your fancy, as is proven by the ten pages above it probably doesn't matter either way.

Most important thing.....

do the bolt up!

The fact of the matter is, if you take new components out of their packets & assemble & crank on a BB axle, there will be traces of lube from the mfr. Infact a lot of shimano's cartridge b/b came with a smear of white grease on the drive side tapers.

My own view is to not grease the tapers but lube the bolt threads to get good conistent torque.

In the next month I can guarantee that I will have 2 chainsets to fit..

I will conduct a field test!

Despite the fact it will be totally flawed in so much, that they are different types of BB/make&model of cranks and will be exposed to different types of riding environments and stresses and tightened 'til it 'feels right' and then a bit more after a few turns of the pedals. I'm going to grease one set, dry fit the other.

I will fully update this thread on a month by month basis as to how each set fares.

Creaks or cracks? - You are going to hear about it!! Excited? I bet you are.. :facepalm:

Have we reached Page 11 yet?... :LOL:

Latest posts

Back