buying from Taiwan and not getting stung for VAT/custom duty

Re: buying from Taiwan and not getting stung for VAT/custom

thats a best case scenario. what would you have been left with had the parcel arrived with the kit smashed to pieces?

gavinda":25i19y71 said:
thats a best case scenario. what would you have been left with had the parcel arrived with the kit smashed to pieces?
Exactly! I told the seller about having to pay the extra £65 and why he declared it has low value,
his reply was to save himself on postage charges..FFS! so then I got kicked in the balls instead.

Out of interest was that £65 charge based on a true value of £200 or a ball slap from c and e for 'evasion'?

gavinda":10qd2ot8 said:
Out of interest was that £65 charge based on a true value of £200 or a ball slap from c and e for 'evasion'?
I've no idea mate! The phone call was some ten minutes long and all I kept getting was...
'We will not release the package until the charge of £65 is paid in full by either credit/debit card'

comes to mind!

Just checked in a calculator and you probably only got pumped for what you should have. You'd have been fucked if I arrived broken though.

Currently an rv helo qualify a for 20% vat and no duty fees.

B77":2dkllumj said:
gavinda":2dkllumj said:
If you can't get the stuff in the uk then that's not an issue. However I think wilfully avoiding tax/vat is not acceptable, regardless of how you believe it is spent. If you don't like how much we pay, take it to the gov and your local mp.

I suppose you were in full support of the mp's use of loopholes and blatant misuse of their expenses too. Plus those who are claiming more than one set of legitimate being its must be alright as well.

If you get lucky and noone asks for the money, well done, but I feel if you blatantly try to avoid paying what you owe, you may end up worse off.

What he said.

I suppose being holier-than-thou, when you fill up your car with petrol, you go to the Tesco assistant on the till with a fistful of twenties insisting that he give them to Mr Osborunre? No, somethow I don't see that happening.

As for being compared to an tax fiddling MP, the £ 50 or so I am trying to save hardly compares with the several thousands of £ cllaimed for duck houses and moats of public money.

gavinda":z2ss1e70 said:
Why would this be a problem? Customs value, and insured value don't need to be the same, and rarely are. This information isn't shared between them.

I worked in shipping for 11 years, and you'd be surprised what goes on

Tim, I was making the assumption that if the declared value was only £50 that's all you would get.

Other bloke- wtf is your point??? What am I supposed to do when I fill up? Not pay?

So you do support the dodgy mp's or not. If they can fiddle then why shouldn't you seems to be your point.

Karma dude.

02gf74":82rw6b2x said:
As for being compared to an tax fiddling MP, the £ 50 or so I am trying to save hardly compares with the several thousands of £ cllaimed for duck houses and moats of public money.

Nah the principle is exactly the same. It is stil fraud, the amount makes bugger all difference.

I used to until very recently, import from all over the world. If you under insure or under declare the value and the parcel/item is damaged or disappears you lose out, is it really worth that just to save a few quid. If you keep everything above the table the you are in the right all the way along the line and have every chance of getting fully sorted should something go wrong.

I don't see the problem with paying import duty, you live in a country/society that is a cut above a lot of the rest of the world what's the fukcing problem with paying for it ? Or are you a special case and shouldn't have to pay like the rest of us ?

@ Pyro Tim, insured value has to be stated clearly on all international shipping/customs, although sometimes if sen twithin the EU insurance above a certain amount is optional and puts the price up a little depending on item value, insured value and monetary worth cannot be dfferent. You might get away with a scam like that using a courrier like DHL or whatever but with a national post office, which goods from Asia are usually sent by because it's far cheaper, not a chance.

gavinda":upejmr9x said:
Tim, I was making the assumption that if the declared value was only £50 that's all you would get.

Other bloke- wtf is your point??? What am I supposed to do when I fill up? Not pay?

So you do support the dodgy mp's or not. If they can fiddle then why shouldn't you seems to be your point.

Karma dude.
If that's what is declared for insurance, then you are right. However, as I said, just because the customs value is declared at that, doesn't mean the insured value has to be.

I've done it with our PO when sending something overseas. I've been instructed to do it with million £ yachts coming into this country and others. You don't have to buy your insurance from the carrier you know.

Regarding the RC chopper. Customs know the value of things from statistics. If you put a believable value, that fits with their statistics it will go through no probs. If it is unbelievably low, you won't.

Back