The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The Hi-Fi Chat and sales thread

I've just been up into the loft and found my old Kenwood mini/midi hi fi system..

UD-301/351 from 1991... all in their original boxes... :cool:

And some old technics speakers as well.

If someone can give me a rough valuation I'll offer them both up for sale..

Yeah I was guessing something 30quid.

The kenwood's complete with its original speakers, these are the technics I have as well...
5FAE9901-CDEB-482E-9D60-3233AA022867-7652-00000C9705E04916_zps22b2ca8e.jpg

Probably worth blither-all

Yep, about right. That sort of stuff just doesn't seem to sell anymore on eBay. There's two camps. 'Proper' (read expensive) hifi, or the ipod and dock combo. People don't seem to want anything in between.

...and if the CD player doesnt work (which they often dont), its garage/ mancave fodder.

CD and 6 changer works perfectly, as do the tape decks but ive forgotten what even goes in them, now...

I'm enjoying the ubergeekery of this thread, even though I understand about 5% of it :)

Anyway. I have a need for an amp for my office. Doesn't have to be very special since I'm playing MP3s off a PC. So anything considered -- my main priority is cheapness, to go with the Wharfedale Diamond IV speakers I paid 99p for.

Try a tripath type off eBay? Small, cheap and plenty good enough for mp3's in the office. More geekyness up shortly :mrgreen:

Thought I'd start on the 405 power amp tonight. Case apart for access to the main smoothing caps...

IMAG0330_zps858292fb.jpg

Old caps out - yes, they're a bit swollen (ooer missus!) and probably pretty dried up. My capacitance meter doesn't have a range anything like high enough so I don't know for sure, but being 30+ years old, they'll be WELL past their best!

IMAG0331_zpsd2210a8d.jpg

Sexy new low ESR capsgoing in. These were an absolute bargain 'lab clearance' buy. £30 odd for 6 of them! Normally you'd pay more than that for ONE cap of this spec!

IMAG0332_zps3de8f8e0.jpg

Need to do a fair bit of rewiring, so figured I'd fit decent speaker posts while I'm at it. Will remove the originals and fit decent RCS phonos in addition to the DIN. The smaller caps on the amp boards look a bit knackered too so I'll replace them. May well do my usual 'hand matched' resistor replacements while I'm at it also.

IMAG0334_zps5d157802.jpg

So there we are. Up to date. Just testing the new op-amps in the phono card. Need an arm rewire though, the botched one I did a bit back with arm cables which were too short is a bit flaky...

IMAG0336_zps5efa12bc.jpg

apache":1bgmgsau said:
Try a tripath type off eBay? Small, cheap and plenty good enough for mp3's in the office. More geekyness up shortly :mrgreen:

Interesting. I'd looked at those and sort of assumed they'd be junk just based on them being cheap. But I know pretty much nothing. Is there likely to be any discernible difference between a £30 one and a £15 one, beyond the more expensive ones being more pleasingly minimalist? :)

Back